The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Interstellar
So, Interstellar by stellar Nolan. For those who haven't seen it
SPOILER ALERT

Quote:The future looks very bleak in this movie, people are apparently dumbing down at an incredible rate, in fact not even highly trained personnel is capable of following simple procedures and orders or remembering high school physics. In addition crops are failing, a superpowered blight changes composition of atmosphere pulling new nitrogen out of nowhere and people have turned from beings we know now into Zen beings incapable of violence.

The explanation that "The love did it!" and assurance "Science is useless without help from aliens." not to mention "Follow you hearth rather than reason" turns the otherwise good movie into what we can only assume was a result of rather generous use of LSD and New age literature.

And then there are glaring scientific errors, like fact that director never heard about Newtonian orbital mechanics, inability to perform basic genetic engineering and last but not least benign black holes with no radiation belts and spaghettification.

My headcanon is that it was all just a virch made by slightly less sephiriotic archai and that the robots were its way of influencing the virch (the drone from the beginning is never explained and neither are those "malfunctioning" robo-harvesters. Not to mention the robots suspiciously ignoring their "settings".
too bad, I had heard it had its problems, I still want to see it though cause the concept is similar to a project I had been working on. really to bad no one could make a good space opera anymore.
The wormhole science looks as if it is correct, despite Seth Shostak's criticism; to maintain such a large 'hole near Saturn would require a galaxy's worth of negative energy, probably, but it isn't non-physical according to Thorne.
The wormhole was actually about only thing scientifically correct in the whole movie.
(11-10-2014, 01:01 AM)Dalex Wrote: The wormhole was actually about only thing scientifically correct in the whole movie.

I have to wonder why this was what the chose to get right at the expense of everything else. I mean they had an extremely talented theoretical physicist on staff, what was so important in the story that they ignored everything else?
My theory is that Nolan wrote few scenes and then decided to build movie around them. The result was increadible in execution but lacking in substance.
I loved it. It's a great movie with incredible visualizations of a rotating black hole, wormhole, and huge space station, and so many references to classic sci-fi films, among other things, in my opinion. There's plot holes and science problems here and there, but the movie is worth seeing for the scope of the vision and the music alone. I won't give away anything about the plot.
Well asuming that you go to theater for visuals alone you will be satisfyed. But I go there for the story if it is lacking no amount of digital tricks and music will save it.
Same goes for videogames. I prefer Fallout 2 and 1 to Fallout 3.