The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

55 Cancri e
Atsa spicy meatball, probably just right for a vin Diesel movie.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama
If that article is correct, this could be the first Chthonian Class planet discovered. I'm a little dubious, since the density is a bit low. The density is given as 5.9g/cm3, just a bit denser than Earth; a solid planet with 8 times Earth's mass should be considerably denser than that; about 7g/cm3. But the error bars are quite large.
Here it is in OA, now renamed Janssen by the IAU
[Image: med_bremen.jpg]
If it is cool on the dark side, I should tone down the night-side luminosity a bit.
(08-01-2016, 12:52 AM)stevebowers Wrote: If it is cool on the dark side, I should tone down the night-side luminosity a bit.

The suggested value is 1100C on the night side, so that could be fairly luminous.
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama
One of the tricky things about making planetary models is that the true reflected luminosity of a planet's day side would mask the night-side luminosity, even if the night side was quite bright. I like to show the night-lights in these images, as well as the stars; but in reality, to a baseline human eye, the dayside would outshine all but the most brilliant stars and any nightlights, including glowing lava and city lights.

Perhaps I can rationalise this by saying that some sort of augmented vision application intervenes to create these images, or something along those lines. OA citizens would almost certainly see the world in better detail than we do.
(08-01-2016, 03:31 PM)stevebowers Wrote: Perhaps I can rationalise this by saying that some sort of augmented vision application intervenes to create these images, or something along those lines. OA citizens would almost certainly see the world in better detail than we do.

Something like high dynamic range imaging?
----------------------