The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

New Intro - Why "Orion's Arm"?
Question 
Helloo,

I'm glad to have found OA and I'm excited to read about new ideas of the future.

I had started a blog on AI and I have a backlog of ideas to write about, but if OA is already putting them out there..

For the marketing research data types, I found OA through a kurzgesagt youtube video's mention of a "matrioshka brain" and then a WIKI search ( I have no personal affiliations to either).

I am a UX  designer (a.k.a. UI/HF/HCI) by trade and I have close to 20 years experience in fitting computer based interactions to human needs and desires professionally.  I work for a Fortune 500 company (inventors of the GUI, personal computer, mouse amongst other technologies).

I'm helpful, and the OA site may benefit from a look-and-feel refresh IMHO.

Located in So Cal by way of Vancouver BC.

Glad to be here,

Laetum
Welcome to the forum! Smile feel free to dive right in with any questions or comments you might have, join us on the discord too if you like:
http://www.orionsarm.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3500

We're always happy for people to contribute in any way they can. On another note; what's your favourite part of the setting?
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
Newb move, sorry if repeat threads appear. Mods please delete subsequent threads if they appear.
I was getting a an error that read, "This specified thread does not exist".

Carry On.
Tongue 
I added Discord although FireEye flagged the registration email in my work inbox and now it's escalated to an Administrator to review.
I'm debating if I should explain to them what OA is about and try to have them add Discord to the white list.  

Tongue
(04-26-2018, 01:20 AM)Laetum Wrote: Newb move, sorry if repeat threads appear.  Mods please delete subsequent threads if they appear.
I was getting a an error that read, "This specified thread does not exist".

Carry On.

No worries, the other threads were taken care of Wink

(04-26-2018, 01:23 AM)Laetum Wrote: I added Discord although FireEye flagged the registration email in my work inbox and now it's escalated to an Administrator to review.
I'm debating if I should explain to them what OA is about and try to have them add Discord to the white list.  

Tongue

Oh dear haha. Hope it doesn't get you in trouble!
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
Oh, I searched around and didn't see where the name "Orion's Arm" was explained. I understand that there's Orion's Belt and also there's the "Orion Arm" of the Milky Way, but why the "apostrophe S" in particular?
Hi There - Welcome to OA!

Regarding the name of the project and pulling from our FAQ pages:

Orion's Arm is a play on the name of the local arm of the Milky Way galaxy in which our solar system resides. Orion is also the name of the first nuclear-powered rocket project (which was never built), a mighty hunter of Greek mythology, and a generic mytho-poetic reference that just sounds cool.

Hope this helps,

Todd
The Orion OB1 complex is a very large star-building region in the centre of the Orion Arm (sometimes called the Orion Spur). So in many ways this particular arm of the galaxy can justly be called 'Orion's Arm'.
Note as well that  one of the earliest extrasolar colonies, Pi3 Orionis, is located in the arm or wrist of Orion as seen from Earth, so this may be one of the origins of the name.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

visuals are great for adding more clarity. thanks
Welcome to the forums.