The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

A Prodigal Returns
About nine months ago, two things happened to me. Number one, my life got more complicated. Number two, I realized that the kinds of stories I want to write, and my instincts about what a story is supposed to be, don't mesh well with the kind of setting you guys are building - it's not anybody's fault, but it was somewhat discouraging. Which is why I dropped off the face of the earth around that time.

About nine hours ago, I realized two things. Number one, I hadn't learned anything new about physics since I ended involvement with OA. Number two, leaving you guys with a couple half finished Emple-Dok-Cetic articles was a real dick move. So, now I'm back. I'm for sure going to finish up that EDC project, and I may well whip up something for those magmatter death balls I came up with. Beyond that, I guess I'll be lurking, waiting for opportunities to make myself useful.
"And it appeared to Ransom that there might, if a man could find it, be some way to renew the old Pagan practice of propitiating the local gods of unknown places in such fashion that it was no offence to God Himself but only a prudent and courteous apology for trespass."
-C.S. Lewis, Perelandra
Welcome back! Big Grin

About to crash for the night but will post more in reply tomorrow.

Todd
Glad to have you back Smile I always hoped someone would finish off the magmatter death ball article. I’m sure we can take another shot at working in stories you want to write too. One change since you were here last was we’ve started including short fiction vignettes at the start of articles which are a lot more manageable for most people.

Also we have a discord for casual hang outs, feel free to join us:
https://discord.gg/gejZUMp
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
(12-22-2018, 02:23 PM)Dave Wrote: About nine months ago, two things happened to me. Number one, my life got more complicated. Number two, I realized that the kinds of stories I want to write, and my instincts about what a story is supposed to be, don't mesh well with the kind of setting you guys are building - it's not anybody's fault, but it was somewhat discouraging. Which is why I dropped off the face of the earth around that time.

Sorry to hear about your life getting more complicated. Hopefully, it was either in a good way or you've now worked things out.

Out of curiosity, can you please elaborate on your thoughts/feelings on what a story is supposed to be and how that differs from the OA setting? Not trying to argue you're wrong (not enough information for me to have an opinion either way), but I'd be interested to see what the disconnect is for you. Whether or not that turns out to be something we can/want to correct or that we can point out a corner of the OA setting that you might find more conducive is TBD at this point. But we won't know until we know more details about the issue(s).

(12-22-2018, 02:23 PM)Dave Wrote: About nine hours ago, I realized two things. Number one, I hadn't learned anything new about physics since I ended involvement with OA. Number two, leaving you guys with a couple half finished Emple-Dok-Cetic articles was a real dick move. So, now I'm back. I'm for sure going to finish up that EDC project, and I may well whip up something for those magmatter death balls I came up with. Beyond that, I guess I'll be lurking, waiting for opportunities to make myself useful.

That would be cool. IIRC you were also starting to educate us on the details of reversible computing and how it might fit into the setting. Totally up to you if you want to pick that up again as well, of course. But figured I'd throw it out thereSmile

Glad to have you back!

Todd