The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Traversable wormholes from broken cosmic strings and vacuum black hole pair prodction
You can get the gist by reading the results and conclusions starting on page 17. 

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1904.02187.pdf
Not having a physics background I don’t really get the gist. Could you post a lay person’s summary? And given that this is a non-peer reviewed preprint what is your preliminary assessment of its quality?
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
Oh, right.

First, it’s extremely high-quality. Both Gary Horowitz and Don Marolf are famous; I’ve been to conferences and colloquia where they’ve keynoted.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Horowitz

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Marolf

Second, it’s more confirmation that wormholes are actually valid.

Horowitz, Marolf, et. al show, both analytically and numerically, that you can create stable traversable wormholes in our (deSitter) universe without requiring unphysical amounts of negative stress-energy.

This particular paper uses black hole pair production mediated by a broken cosmic string.

That’s actually not exceptionally difficult to do all things considered, as those conditions generally exist shortly after the Big Bang.

In essence, this paper verified our conjecture that Weyl-forges work with microscopic black holes under exotic (early universe) conditions.
Heh. IIRC this makes the second or third time that newer developments in RL physics theory around wormholes have actually supported how wormholes are described in the setting or the underlying physics that allows for the type of wormholes we describe in the setting.

One one hand this makes sense since our WHs are designed based on RL physics theory. OTOH it is extra cool since RL physics theory (especially in the more cutting edge areas where wormholes play) often seems to me to be a bit like a boiling pot of water with different theories rising to the surface and then sinking down to make way for new theories that may invalidate some part of the older one.

For wormholes of the type that were designed for OA to line up with ongoing developments in RL theory for so long is a testament to the quality of the original workSmile

Todd
Perhaps you could mass-produce wormholes or black holes by pinching off rhe corner of a loop of cosmic string.
(04-06-2019, 12:59 PM)Tachyon Wrote: Horowitz, Marolf, et. al show, both analytically and numerically, that you can create stable traversable wormholes in our (deSitter) universe without requiring unphysical amounts of negative stress-energy.

This particular paper uses black hole pair production mediated by a broken cosmic string.

That’s actually not exceptionally difficult to do all things considered, as those conditions generally exist shortly after the Big Bang.

In essence, this paper verified our conjecture that Weyl-forges work with microscopic black holes under exotic (early universe) conditions.

Thanks for the info Smile sounds interesting. I had another look at the paper but again not finding it easy to extract information. Do they give a way to calculate how much energy is required for a wormhole of a given radius? If so how does it stack up to OA?
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
So, a colossal network of artificial wormholes connecting thousands of star systems, thus allowing for quick travel across interstellar distances, really is something we could have in a few hundred years?

Kewl.
(04-08-2019, 08:24 AM)Cepinari Wrote: So, a colossal network of artificial wormholes connecting thousands of star systems, thus allowing for quick travel across interstellar distances, really is something we could have in a few hundred years?

Kewl.

If nothing else, this latest paper seems to make it more likely that wormholes are allowed by the laws of physics.

Whether or not the technology necessary to actually make them artificially (or find them and exploit them in they occur naturally) will be available in a few hundred years, a few thousands years, or a few million (or even billion) years probably isn't something the paper addresses.

ToddSmile
More as a reminder to myself than anything else - We should add this paper to our internal library and put a link on the Development Notes section of the Wormholes - A Layman's Guide article.

Todd
(04-07-2019, 01:22 AM)Rynn Wrote: Thanks for the info Smile sounds interesting. I had another look at the paper but again not finding it easy to extract information. Do they give a way to calculate how much energy is required for a wormhole of a given radius? If so how does it stack up to OA?

I’d have to run their simulation software to check. It’s something I’d like to do but I’m rather occupied with my own research at the moment.