The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

UltraTech LEEC species
The Tleitylwesi's Dyson Bubble is a largish megastructure, with a radius of nearly 47 Astronomical Units and an equilibrium temperature (including waste heat) of about 81.5 Kelvin. Using part of the approximately 2.4e+26 Watts generated on the inner surfaces to run the HoMn2O5 magcooling system (with helium as a working fluid) on the exterior surface to cool its ~5.5e+20 square kilometers to the CMBR is a relatively trivial task.

BTW, a type of artifact in the sandbox (not produced by the Tleitylwesi, but by an older, now extinct civilization) uses a pair of counter-rotating black holes for power storage, maneuvering (by altering the spin of one BH relative to the other), and as repositories for waste heat. These mobile artifacts are considered quite hazardous, and are to be avoided if at all possible.

Radtech497
"I'd much rather see you on my side, than scattered into... atoms." Ming the Merciless, Ruler of the Universe
That would work. If Ylem could be made to turn photons into neutrinos that would also work, apart from the elevated neutrino flux.
(07-30-2014, 06:02 PM)stevebowers Wrote: Any black hole larger than 0.0075 x Earth's mass will be colder than the CMBR, so could be used as a heat dump even without a suprashell.
http://xaonon.dyndns.org/hawking/
There are two problems I see with this proposal. First, the region near the event horizon has to be kept very clean or turbulence in the in-falling matter will raise it to very high temperatures.

Much more important is that the surface area of a modest sized black hole is very small, being only a few square kilometres for one of solar mass. Going to be difficult to get significant amounts of heat down there without converting it to a more condensed form first --- which runs up against sundry thermodynamical problems.
I'm relying on this turbulence to supply power to the suprashell. An earth-mass black hole would be 0.88 centimetres across, which would be a tricky target for a refrigerator heat dump. Especially since the hole would be surrounded by a fusing accretion disk.

Oh, well, this seemed like a good idea at the time.
(07-30-2014, 06:56 PM)radtech497 Wrote: The Tleitylwesi's Dyson Bubble is a largish megastructure, with a radius of nearly 47 Astronomical Units and an equilibrium temperature (including waste heat) of about 81.5 Kelvin. Using part of the approximately 2.4e+26 Watts generated on the inner surfaces to run the HoMn2O5 magcooling system (with helium as a working fluid) on the exterior surface to cool its ~5.5e+20 square kilometers to the CMBR is a relatively trivial task.
Of course this cooling still requires a heat dump of some sort.
(07-30-2014, 07:33 PM)stevebowers Wrote: Of course this cooling still requires a heat dump of some sort.
The "interior" of the Bubble would work for that application; since the Bubble is made of statites rather than being a solid shell, any heat released to the inside would radiate to the outside through the spaces between the collectors. The volume of empty space within the Bubble, and the vastness of interstellar space beyond it should be enough to diffuse the heat to insignificant levels.

Radtech497
"I'd much rather see you on my side, than scattered into... atoms." Ming the Merciless, Ruler of the Universe
So it is a partial dyson, rather than a full dyson. This would also work, but of course the amount of usable energy is reduced.
(07-30-2014, 09:04 PM)stevebowers Wrote: So it is a partial dyson, rather than a full dyson. This would also work, but of course the amount of usable energy is reduced.
As mentioned upthread, it is a Dyson Bubble, made of orbiting statites, not a Dyson Shell. The Tleitylwesi Bubble covers just a shade over 90% of the sphere surrounding their system's stars (a close binary system); since it was constructed primarily to provide concealment, the power generated by its 21.3 quadrillion statites (actually, the Bubble generates only a small percentage of their total power generation) is a bonus. Additionally, the Bubble described is only one of 87 such structures built and maintained by their civilization.

Radtech497
Quote:The Tleitylwesi Bubble covers just a shade over 90% of the sphere surrounding their system's stars (a close binary system)
This means that any waste heat that is not irradiated from the outside of the bubble escapes through the remaining 10% of uncovered system. This would be detectable, although with some difficulty. Unless a significant fraction of the luminosity of the star is stored in the ingenious black hole pairs.
(07-31-2014, 07:28 AM)stevebowers Wrote:
Quote:The Tleitylwesi Bubble covers just a shade over 90% of the sphere surrounding their system's stars (a close binary system)
This means that any waste heat that is not irradiated from the outside of the bubble escapes through the remaining 10% of uncovered system. This would be detectable, although with some difficulty. Unless a significant fraction of the luminosity of the star is stored in the ingenious black hole pairs.
The Tleitylwesi are, for all intents and purposes, invisible to Terragens and, more importantly (to them) from any extant civilizations in the "Sandbox Volume" due to distance (54,622 LY from Sol and 83244 LY from the nearest starflight-capable civilization in the sandbox) and to their location in the Milky Way's "observation shadow." Aside from the heat signature becoming indistinguishable from background noise, the blocking of 90% of the system's visual emissions means it is invisible to optical detection as well.

In any case, any remote detection of the Tleitylwesi civilization would, in the absence of corroborating communication or contact, lead to a classification as a low or even null technology society, which leads back to the original query.

Radtech497