The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Hi everybody
(08-10-2014, 12:23 AM)Fsci123 Wrote: Hi everyone, im fsci... I've been reading orions arm for about a year or two. When I first found out about the site, I was kinda turned off by the transhumanistic elements but now, I consider orions arm to be among my favorite scifi works...even exceeding classics like Star Trek and Star Wars.

I also hope to eventually contribute some good things to the project.

Oh yeah, and by the way...I'm really fond of presenting stories in hard data...

Hi!
Welcome to the discussion group. I'm sure you'll find one or two or many ways to contribute to the project; as many of us know by experience there is some aspect of it for just about every taste and talent, given a basic interest in science fiction. It's all good clean fun, though with a different set of premises than settings like Star Trek or Star Wars or some of the imaginary future histories of some famous science fiction authors. One of our basics is something that might be called radical hard science fiction. Eventually we'll put that in as a link on the site's main page, but for now if you search for the term in the forum archives you'll get a sense of what is meant by it. Putting all the dials to max in an imagined future (though without contradicting current scientific consensus) pretty much inevitably leads to something that includes humans doing self-modification and humans creating other kinds of intelligence, and that shades into quite a bit of what is currently called transhumanism. Whether we the authors are transhumanists or not varies (for instance, I'm pretty sure most people who identify as transhumanists would not include me among them). I'm interested to know however what particular aspects of 'transhumanism' were a turn-off. That would help the OA project with its presentation, since first impressions can be important.

Hoping to hear more from you soon, on this or any other topic. :-)
Stephen

Messages In This Thread
Hi everybody - by Fsci123 - 08-10-2014, 12:23 AM
RE: Hi everybody - by Matterplay1 - 08-10-2014, 12:58 AM
RE: Hi everybody - by Drashner1 - 08-10-2014, 02:04 AM
RE: Hi everybody - by Fsci123 - 08-10-2014, 12:51 PM
RE: Hi everybody - by Drashner1 - 08-11-2014, 08:39 AM