The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

What are some of your favorite Science Fiction
Just to add to the reading list

The expanse series by by James S. A. Corey, the pen name of Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck
-cold war between earth & mars with the astroid belters caught between. Good gritty near future SF (it's also a TV show on sci fi now). Really good moral struggles from the characters. Also, there's an entire short scene about just turning an ice hauler ship around in a 'flip and burn' maneuver. It really made me feel how hard space travel could still be.
http://www.businessinsider.com/sci-fi-sh...lem-2016-1

Dawn by Octavia Butler-
In Dawn, protagonist Lilith Iyapo finds herself in a spaceship after surviving a nuclear apocalypse that destroys Earth. Saved by the Oankali aliens, the human survivors must combine their DNA with an ooloi, the Oankali's third sex, in order to create a new race that eliminates a self-destructive flaw in humans—their aggressive hierarchical tendencies.

Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross- it's a decent treasure hunt story- I read it mostly for its description of interstellar trade and banking.

Windup Girl by Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
-really good ecological science fiction set in 2500AD thailand

The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin
-This chinese author's recently got translated into english- not hard sci fi by any means, but wow. such a mishmash of ideas..virtual reality games to solve communication problems with a new alien race.. the three body physics problem..

Story of your life by Ted Chiang.
Just read anything by him. His stories are so well constructed and inventive.

Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald- five powerful family-run companies fight for power on the harsh environment of the moon

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson- It's a slow sort of book about a landscape designer and a diplomat wandering around the mostly post-capitalist solar system. I read it more for the setting and the way KSR writes info-dumps than anything else

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie, as Rynn says. Really good.

Some of these songs- reminded me of how science fiction stories could be translated into music
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-top-100-scien...1650307105

Messages In This Thread
RE: What are some of your favorite Science Fiction - by Worldtree - 05-07-2017, 04:09 AM