The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Hello And Thank You from the bottom of my heart.
Hello,

I'm a long time lurker and I've been greatly entertained reading the stories on here about the Archai, religions, and different societies that are created over the next ten thousand years.

Maybe an hour ago, however, I finished reading a short story on here, Under The Looking Glass by Darren Ryding and I cried. It was beautiful and almost spiritual. I guess I'm overreacting and I apologize for making anyone uncomfortable but I am truly grateful for all the effort you all have put into this site and universe. I thought I'd exhausted every web page on this site but I'm glad there is still content on here that makes me wonder.

Again thank you for your work and I hope to be reading whatever else you wonderful people come up with in the years to come.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the thanks! Smile A lot of effort has been put into OA over the years, there are even a few members that have been around since the very beginning.

I hope you continue to enjoy OA, feel free to stick around to discuss, compliment and even contribute to the setting!
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
Thanks for the kind wordsSmile

Darren is actually still active with the group and checks in from time to time. I'm sure he'll be very glad that you enjoyed his story. It's one of my favorites as well.

Todd
Welcome to the Orion's Arm forum, and thank you for your heartfelt compliments.

The past two years have been a bit difficult, so your praise is not only welcome, but actually very helpful. You have just reminded me what I need to be doing, and what decisions I need to make for the future. I'm sorry for the late reply; however, I have only just read your post, and the timing has been perfect. My day is now so much more cheerful thanks to you.
I'd like to chime in by saying that this post prompted me to read that story and I too found it greatly moving. While they may not have fallen, tears formed, and not just once. I am particularly touched by the depth of friendship between the Archosaurian characters; their last moment together was so poignant, yet also reaffirming in its significance to life, perseverance, goodness and love. "Clouds" was also heart-rending.
In short, I wish to echo your praises Smile
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Sorry for not posting sooner, life got a bit busy.

Darren - I should be the one thanking you not the other way around! I hope you're doing better these days and I'm hoping to read more from you in the not too distant future. I hope you don't mind but I'm going to use your story as an example for the Writing Prompts subreddit to get some more orion's arm-esque stories going. I hope you don't mind?

And to everyone else a bit of an open-ended question, how did you all get so good at writing stories. I'll add to the discussion if I can but I'm not really a physics kind of guy so yea.
Just to drop a quick bit in here...(imagine me wearing my admin/senior member hat)

OA welcomes people from all backgrounds. Some members are literally practicing scientists or engineers. Many are not. Please don't feel that a lack of a physics or other science background precludes you from contributing to the project. We all bring what we have to offer here and the nice thing about a group project like OA is that it is perfectly possible (and acceptable) to ask for help on fleshing out the bits that we don't have expertise inSmile

Please feel free to ask questions or share ideas and remember: the best first response to 'sorry, that wouldn't work' is often 'ok, how might we make it or something like it work in the setting?'

My 2c worth,

Todd
(12-01-2014, 10:21 AM)folasm87 Wrote: Darren - I should be the one thanking you not the other way around! I hope you're doing better these days and I'm hoping to read more from you in the not too distant future. I hope you don't mind but I'm going to use your story as an example for the Writing Prompts subreddit to get some more orion's arm-esque stories going. I hope you don't mind?

You're welcome to use any of my stories.