The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Real life Burning Library Project
Article

Someone was reading OA...
Have a look at the following as well:

While the Holocene extinction is getting worse, Russia is "building Noah's Ark".
"Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people." -- Edward Robert Harrison
(12-30-2014, 05:37 AM)chris0033547 Wrote: Have a look at the following as well:

While the Holocene extinction is getting worse, Russia is "building Noah's Ark".

I get a feeling that most of the funds won't even reach the scientists.
Honestly I don't even feel like believing Russian state funded RT, or any news source from that run by that country.
(12-30-2014, 05:51 AM)Dalex Wrote:
(12-30-2014, 05:37 AM)chris0033547 Wrote: Have a look at the following as well:

I get a feeling that most of the funds won't even reach the scientists.
Honestly I don't even feel like believing Russian state funded RT, or any news source from that run by that country.

To be honest I didn't find the information about their project on RT's website but I saw it first here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ru...-1.2059704

Here's another article on this from the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...lived.html

Both are online-newspapers from the western world and both articles didn't really critize the project or put it into doubt. And that certainly adds to the credibility of the project, because these newspapers criticize the politics of Russia most of the time.

As about corruption and whether these funds will reach the scientists or not: That may or may not happen. But one thing is certain. Now that they've made their plans public to the world and not just RT but many other online-newspapers reported about it (look at Google News and type in Russia Noah Ark) it would be extremely embarassing and difficult for them not to "deliver" and put the grants into their own pockets. It would be like trying to steal the Mona Lisa in broad daylight, while everyone (including the tourists) are in the museum and looking at it. Although even an S:1-transapient could do it. Wink
"Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people." -- Edward Robert Harrison
Sadly both quote only original article and the original article itself cites no official source.

Trust me, when it comes to stealing public funds Russian gov. is at least S2. Big Grin
(12-29-2014, 11:09 PM)Dalex Wrote: Article

Someone was reading OA...

Or, more likely, many us with a life science background have similar concern, and even a cursory knowledge of history tends to steer one towards particular metaphors. Thanks for the link! :-)

For a fact, back when I wrote the Burning Library article I had half a notion I'd heard some biologist make a reference like that before. Never did manage to track down the original comment, though, if there was one.
Stephen