The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Review - Andy Weir's The Martian
(03-11-2015, 08:16 AM)stevebowers Wrote: One discussion I've read on the Interwebs was about Watney's use of human waste in the CELSS; ; there are so many pathogens in human waste that this is not such a good idea. However I would expect that this mission (the third) would have in place some measures intended to sterilise this waste - this could be as simple as exposing it to vacuum for a specific period of time.

Or exposing it to about 90C, you won't lose the water to vacuum and won't need the energy to boil water, but the germs will be like, "I'm melting...what a world, what a world..."

At work, we picked up on a couple of other errors. Watney's early mishap with breathing mixture ratios should've knocked him out and probably killed him. He expressed excessive concern about the RTG's radiation, too. That's about it, though.

Quote:Strange perhaps that Watney didn't go into more detail about this - the opportunities for humour would be extensive. Or is it just Brits who like toilet jokes?

"Dumb and Dumber" and "Blazing Saddles" aren't British movies. Wink

20 potty (fart) humor moments from American movies in 2 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B5Jnho8dTc
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama

Messages In This Thread
Review - Andy Weir's The Martian - by stevebowers - 03-04-2015, 10:51 AM
RE: Review - Andy Weir's The Martian - by Cray - 03-11-2015, 04:21 AM
RE: Review - Andy Weir's The Martian - by Cray - 03-11-2015, 10:03 AM