The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

OA: 'Radical Hard Science Fiction'
(11-03-2014, 02:29 PM)Dfleymmes1134 Wrote: I'm not too fond of bright GIF banners on websites, though i'm sure I could figure out a way that would make a version that looks decent. There'll be a slideshow on the front page, so one of the slides can serve this purpose if enough people want it. I'm not saying no to banners- just would prefer not to. They'd look very appropriate in the ghost net and maybe in the introductory material, though.

Perhaps you're right that version is a bit gaudy for the front page, which looks to be pretty dynamic already in the new versions I've seen. I do like the idea of highlighting our claim, though.
Stephen
I like the overall explanation that you've provided, but there are some typos. I can go through and fix those tonight.

I'm also not overly fond of the idea of a bright banner(s) of the new main page. That said, there are other options we might play with.

As Ari has suggested, we could look at putting something into the various introductory/educational pages we have developed over the years. We could add pages to the Primer, and links (or maybe some kind of banner) to the FAQ, and Introduction pages, and maybe something to the Canon page. Could add one or more links as a permanent part of the V:FT Table of Contents as well. Probably some other options I haven't thought of.

Certainly something to play around with.

Thanks!

Todd
Just as a point, didn't the original Hard/Soft Sci Fi divide exist to distinguish things based of the Hard Sciences (Physics, Bio, Chem, etc) from Soft (poly sci, Sociology, Psychology, etc)? and it sort of retroactively came to mean how accurate the science and technology where? Because things like Star Trek, which were social and political were less focused on getting the science right. Now we know that is no longer what people generally mean when they say "Hard Sci Fi" but something like OA could easily fit both of the original definitions.

I also really like the idea of Radical and Conservative Sci Fi, thats a really interesting concept and a useful tool for writers on both ends of the spectrum to label their work.
I've made some minor tweaks to the wording of the Radical Hard Science Fiction page, mainly just cleaning up some typos.

Please look it over and let me know if any additional changes are needed.

Thanks!

Todd
(11-04-2014, 09:09 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: I've made some minor tweaks to the wording of the Radical Hard Science Fiction page, mainly just cleaning up some typos.

Please look it over and let me know if any additional changes are needed.

Looks good. Thanks for the edits. :-)
Stephen
Added an image
http://www.orionsarm.com/page/514