The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Harold White's warp drive and OA
So first results are in and well, there is a difference between field turned on and off but it's extremely small.
Here is H. White speaking at Icarus Interstellar event about his results.
(12-30-2013, 09:13 AM)Dalex Wrote: So first results are in and well, there is a difference between field turned on and off but it's extremely small.
Here is H. White speaking at Icarus Interstellar event about his results.

As with the recent superluminal neutrinos report, this is much more likely to be a procedural or calculational error than an actual effect.

I doubt that the "White" warp drive is viable.
(05-08-2013, 12:05 PM)Sim Koning Wrote: The Pdf on the NASA site was taken down, but I still have his paper on my computer (it was freely accessible on the NASA site). This is the bit I found most interesting. His version acts as a FTL "booster" for a more conventional propulsion system. Basically, he seems to be saying that a fusion rocket that travels at *edit* .2c will be boosted up to 20c *edit*.

Interesting. Does the warp drive have an upper limit in how "fast" it could theoretically go, or is the 20c simply a limitation on how much energy is being used?
Better to be insane than inane.
Has there been any recent developments in this? Or is it dead?
Not dead; there has been a recent thread about it. But the effect is still very small, and the successful measurements still very few.
I saw the recent post on the EmDrive, and that keeps popping up in my news feed, and the articles always refer to it as the warp drive, but I thought the two were unrelated?

Is the EmDrive not electromagnetic waves in a cone shaped container that attempts to generate thrust via a relativistic effect were more waves will appear to be in the shallow end of the cone, and Harold White's warp drive is being tested with his warp interferometer, which is attempting to bend light rays with minute warps in spacetime, hoping to one day magnify the effect and propel a starship?

Or are they one in the same, and it's me who is confused?
Harold White has been testing his warp-field interferometer on microwave cavities, and has reported some minor effects
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White%E2%8...ant_cavity
but he seems to be avoiding using it on the EM-drive itself, maybe to avoid tainting the EM-drive with speculative pseudoscience. To be honest I hold out more hope for the warp experiments than the EM drive, but I'd expect that he'll only prove how difficult space-time manipulation is.
Yeah, I've always been sceptical (but hopeful) that some kind of warp drive will work.

I suppose with stasis, longer lifespans, digital life forms etc. etc. the need or want to exceed lightspeed will grow less and less over time.

Thanks for the link, and clarifying that these are two different sciences (?) as I previously thought.