The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Philae Wakes Up
"The European Space Agency (Esa) says its comet lander, Philae, has woken up and contacted Earth."
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33126885
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama
Ah interesting! I wonder how long this will last for.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
That's wonderful! I hope the rest of the mission goes well.
I saw an interesting point over on The Register: if Philae had landed and stayed at its intended site, it would've overheated by now. Because it's hiding in the shade it gets to monitor the comet through an interesting part of its orbit.

Also, the contact included some historical data that Philae had buffered. Apparently, the probe had awoken several times previously but the orbiter and Earth weren't in a position to receive data.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama
(06-15-2015, 09:04 PM)Cray Wrote: I saw an interesting point over on The Register: if Philae had landed and stayed at its intended site, it would've overheated by now. Because it's hiding in the shade it gets to monitor the comet through an interesting part of its orbit.

If that's true, then I'm not feeling so bad for Philae anymore.