The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Samsung's OLED Screens
Samsung's OLED screens, with 4K resolution and flexibility, are looking very SF.

[Image: Samsung%20Mirror%20OLED-970-80.jpg]

Especially...

[Image: Samsung%20Transparent%20OLED-650-80.jpg]

Transparency.

These super-thin (1mm) interactive displays aren't out for public use yet, though.
So they made a real transparent screen. I've been seeing those things in SF movies since the late '90s, and I still don't understand the point. Why would you want to see what is on the other side of the screen?* Supposing that there is a reason to desire that, why not just put a little video camera on the other side and have the screen display the video?

Screen contrast > transparency gimmick

*Windows, windshields, and HUDs make sense, but that's it.
(06-12-2015, 11:49 AM)JohnnyYesterday Wrote: ...

*Windows, windshields, and HUDs make sense, but that's it.

Maybe just the transparent screen by itself with nothing behind it doesn't seem very useful beyond 'hologram'-style graphics or Augmented Reality displays.

But Samsung's been making these flexible, thin screens for applying onto flat or moderately-curved surfaces with magnetic strips/panels. The best way of having functionality with aesthetic might be to stick it on a blank wall, maybe? A glassy surface on your wall could be less of a distraction than a black screen until you turn it on. Still, practicality...

I think this kind of screen combined with opacity-changing smart glass could see more use as something practical / multipurpose, though.

Those smart, paper-thin computers everyone loved talking about a decade or two ago are starting to take shape, maybe....