The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Boeing's take on Project Orion
I used the terms "internal" and "external" to describe where the energetic phase of the propulsive cycle takes place. For example, in the Orion-type drive, the "propellant" is ejected through the pusher plate and detonated some distance behind the ship; this is what I would classify as an "external" reaction (whether using fission, fusion, antimatter, or even chemical explosives). With the Daedalus, Longshot, and other ICF-based drives, the "propellant" is heated and compressed by lasers/masers/etc. located within the ship's structure. The fusion reaction takes place within a "combustion chamber" that is generally also located within the ship's structure.; these types are classified as "internal." In a magnetic or electrostatic confinement fusion (MCF/ECF) drive, the energetic portion of the cycle also takes place within the ship's structure, and can also be classified as "internal."

Radtech497
"I'd much rather see you on my side, than scattered into... atoms." Ming the Merciless, Ruler of the Universe

Messages In This Thread
Boeing's take on Project Orion - by Dalex - 07-12-2015, 10:43 PM
RE: Boeings take on Project Orion - by radtech497 - 07-13-2015, 05:35 AM
RE: Boeings take on Project Orion - by Ithuriel - 07-13-2015, 08:22 PM
RE: Boeings take on Project Orion - by radtech497 - 07-14-2015, 07:07 AM
RE: Boeings take on Project Orion - by Ithuriel - 07-15-2015, 04:56 AM