The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

QueElEs Talks About Himself
Wasn't 100% where to put this, so I figured here would be a decent catch-all.

I'd like to make a disclaimer at this point that I am a Hindu, and also a universalist. So that is a massive part of my thinking, which will of course be influencing my writing. Just so you can keep an eye if it gets a bit too much.

I'm actually fascinated by all religion, and will often fall into focusing on that area in articles.

Heads up.
There are plenty of places in OA with a heavy emphasis on religion Smile use what you know when you contribute.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
M Alan Kazlev, one of the OA founders is deeply interested in Hinduism, and has written extensively on the subject.
http://www.kheper.net/topics/religion/Hinduism.htm
I can't vouch for the accuracy of Alan's work here, but he is certainly both sympathetic and enthusiastic about the subject.
(07-13-2015, 09:46 PM)QueElEs Wrote: I'm actually fascinated by all religion, and will often fall into focusing on that area in articles.

If religions in general interest you, you might be interested in a chapter of Jared Diamond's recent book The World Until Yesterday, the one entitled "What Electric Eels Tell Us about the Evolution of Religion".

Also generally on the role of religions in the modern world and some possible future directions, there are a couple of series from the CBC Radio program Ideas that came out in 2012 are worth a listen. These are The Myth of the Secular, and After Atheism. Both series are excellent explorations of some current thinking on these topics. And yes, the titles are deliberately provocative, as are some if the ideas. And no, they are not promoting a particular religion, or even religion in general, and neither are they against religions; it's an exploration. Both series are available to listen to on the web, if you google them along with CBC. The Myth of the Secular is available too if you subscribe to the Ideas program through iTunes, since they're replaying it this summer. All free to you & the rest of the world, courtesy of my Canadian tax dollars...
Stephen
(07-14-2015, 08:32 PM)stevebowers Wrote: M Alan Kazlev, one of the OA founders is deeply interested in Hinduism, and has written extensively on the subject.
http://www.kheper.net/topics/religion/Hinduism.htm
I can't vouch for the accuracy of Alan's work here, but he is certainly both sympathetic and enthusiastic about the subject.

I can't vouch for that article's accuracy much either Smile But he's obviously actually looked into it, and has interest in the area, which is cool. It's rare for any writer to be that accurate about Hinduism as a whole, even among Hindus.

Thanks for the article.

(07-15-2015, 02:07 PM)Matterplay1 Wrote:
(07-13-2015, 09:46 PM)QueElEs Wrote: I'm actually fascinated by all religion, and will often fall into focusing on that area in articles.

If religions in general interest you, you might be interested in a chapter of Jared Diamond's recent book The World Until Yesterday, the one entitled "What Electric Eels Tell Us about the Evolution of Religion".

Also generally on the role of religions in the modern world and some possible future directions, there are a couple of series from the CBC Radio program Ideas that came out in 2012 are worth a listen. These are The Myth of the Secular, and After Atheism. Both series are excellent explorations of some current thinking on these topics. And yes, the titles are deliberately provocative, as are some if the ideas. And no, they are not promoting a particular religion, or even religion in general, and neither are they against religions; it's an exploration. Both series are available to listen to on the web, if you google them along with CBC. The Myth of the Secular is available too if you subscribe to the Ideas program through iTunes, since they're replaying it this summer. All free to you & the rest of the world, courtesy of my Canadian tax dollars...

Thanks! I'll try to make time to have a look.

And hey, the tax dollars of (some of) my ancestors funded the creation of Canada, we can call it even.