The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

i'm tantric, i'd like to bring the funk to OA
(08-18-2015, 12:10 AM)tantric Wrote: when buddhism moves into a new culture, new flowers bloom. what will american buddhism be like - which of our heroes will become bodhisattvas? what will sui generis american buddhism be like?

Well Buddhism is already in the united states (admittedly with a low percentage of the population): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_i...ted_States. That doesn't preclude you writing up a proposal for a future sect Smile

(08-18-2015, 12:10 AM)tantric Wrote: i propose that a sect takes root in the inner cities and merges with the funk - the good vibes, here - listen to this:

Not really my thing but pretty nice and chilled. Like I said if you want to write up a funk based buddhist movement go for it.

(08-18-2015, 12:10 AM)tantric Wrote: a buddhism that incorporates elements of popculture SF as mythology, but with the spirit of the Maitreya as in folk chinese religion, the happy fat old man, the good vibes buddha. sutras deconstructing Vulcan logic. it has its own school of martial arts, and it's practitioners are called 'jedi' (incorporates neurolinguistic programming for the mind tricks). they use high intensity laser lights as weapons - they can blind, the can illuminate, but not really cause harm. maybe not that much, but still, you get the point.

hey, stranger things have happened, we know this...and it is kinda glorious, assuming it never amounts to much in future history.

Hmm, few thoughts on this. One is that it would have to fit within OA canon and our general ethos of realistic technology and social development. Thus there would have to be a good rationale of why a modern religion would adopt a collection of popculture references into its rituals (are there any examples of this irl? Perhaps christian rock...). Another consideration is one of copyright, historically anyone trying to borrow terms from star wars open themselves up for legal action, a good example of this is the term "droid" which is trademarked.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!

Messages In This Thread
RE: i'm tantric, i'd like to bring the funk to OA - by Rynn - 08-18-2015, 02:21 AM