The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Boyle's wishes
We are about in the middle of his wish list in 46 AT.
By 10601 I guess we would have them all:
http://indianfoodreviews.blogspot.com/20...boyle.html
SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS
Interesting article. Two things I'd disagree with regarding whether or not we've achieved his desires:

1) Healing of wounds at a distance. Sure the idea of a medicine working from afar doesn't make much sense but doctors can be bought in to comment on cases from all over the world. We also have performed remote surgeries, though they aren't common. So I'd chalk that one up as a tentative tick given that his likely intent doesn't make much physical sense anyway.

2) Malleable glass. The author of the article leaves this one unfulfilled because we haven't managed to make glass that is flexible, indeed we've understood more about why that would be very difficult to do given the chemical nature of glass. But essentially we have done this another way: transparent plastic. I think it's unlikely that Boyle firmly meant glass so much as meant a transparent material that is flexible.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
Let's not forget fiber optics and fiberglass - in the strictest sense we can make flexible glass, although it doesn't exactly do what Boyle was probably envisioning.

ToddSmile