The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Astronomers may have found giant alien 'megastructures' orbiting star near the Milky
The dimming seems to be achromatic:
http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=10406
This would support the ETI hypothesis.
SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS
Why is the achromatic nature of the dimming significant?
Because most, if not all natural entities that would be passing between us and KIC 8462852 (orbiting debris, interstellar dust cloud, etc.) would be chromatic...they would look red (like the sun through smog). Achromatic (black) dimming implies a dark solid object...and a solid object big enough to eclipse 22% of an F3 star's light is hard to make naturally.
SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS
Latest rumor is that there is "color" after all :-(
my current guess is that its several large(size wise) hot jupiters in unstable orbits around the star. iirc sodium is a vapor that is emitted from close in hot jupiters.
The period seems to be at least 750 days. That is not a period for a hot Jupiter around an F3 star.
What do you think it is?

I strongly suspect it is natural in origin; why build a titanic solar collector so far out? The inverse square law makes it far more efficient to put it close in.
It appears the most likely explanation is a jupiter like planet with a ring system... and the weird dips detected earlier were trojan objects. The question is, how big are the trojans and why are they blocking so much light.
Because they're alien megastructures, of course Tongue

My lifelong goal: To add "near" to my "baseline" classification.

Lucid dreaming: Because who says baseline computronium can't run virches?
(05-30-2017, 04:24 AM)JohnnyYesterday Wrote: What do you think it is?

I strongly suspect it is natural in origin; why build a titanic solar collector so far out? The inverse square law makes it far more efficient to put it close in.

KIC 8462852 is an F3V dwarf with a luminosity of 4.6471 times Sol. At a distance of 750 million kilometers, or 5.0134 AU, a Dyson swarm can collect up to 1.7796e+27 Watts (assuming 100% photovoltaic conversion efficiency). By itself, such a construct would rate a 2.125 on the Kardashev scale (as modified by Sagan). While even more power can be gleaned from a smaller-radius Dyson swarm, the liquid water "habitable zone" of 2.0554 AU to 2.9611 AU means that the builders (if they are carbon-based organisms using water as a biosolvent) would probably not want to build it much smaller. Besides, a Dyson swarm is a three-dimensional construct, and the approximately 2.0523 AU between the outer edge of the "habitable zone" and the 750 million kilometer radius of this object (if indeed it is artificial) is occupied by habitats or other infrastructure or is reserved for such use in the future.

In the event a natural explanation cannot be found, I suspect the matter will be put aside for as long as possible before tentatively suggesting it might be artificial. So, I will not be holding my breath on this one.

Radtech497
"I'd much rather see you on my side, than scattered into... atoms." Ming the Merciless, Ruler of the Universe