The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Offline thanks to flood
Hi- sorry I can't post at the moment - the telecom centre in York is a victim of the floods, so no-one has connectivity at the moment. Cash only in the shops, no ATMs; It's like being back in the Eighties.
Been watching it on the news, looks terrible :/ hope your home is safe and dry!
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
I was just talking to my dad about Storm Frank - we're getting very blustery weather here in Ireland, but Jesus, I hardly even realized what was going on in north England. :/
Stay safe, Steve!
James Rogers, Professional Idiot
The BBC are permananently camped outside York Castle- for a disaster it's all very safe, with deaths in single figures but millions inconvenienced. My house is out of the water, but the lack of internet is annoying.
(12-30-2015, 03:11 AM)stevebowers Wrote: Hi- sorry I can't post at the moment - the telecom centre in York is a victim of the floods, so no-one has connectivity at the moment. Cash only in the shops, no ATMs; It's like being back in the Eighties.

No internet is a major nuisance, in this day and age. I'm assuming there are a few places with net access, or we wouldn't be hearing from you. A friend's place? Or a local library or coffee shop? I'm always looking for tips on ways to make life easier if the usual systems are knocked out for a bit...

A couple months ago we had a protracted power outage where I live (rare, since it's an urban area), and a lot of people (not me, fortunately) were caught out because they didn't have basics like batteries or candles, or even good old fashioned cash for the grocery stores.

Hope you at least have light and electricity at home, and can stay dry!
Stephen
I hope it gets better soon. There is weird weather all over Europe. Here we have comfortable spring temperature.
Not sign of snow even in the mountains.
That's global warming for you. Don't worry - if Trump gets elected, he'll nuke the fuck out of the rising oceans. Wink
James Rogers, Professional Idiot
They've dried the BT building out sufficiently now so I can get back online. Phew.
The temperatures on Earth's north pole are really weird at the moment:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/de...orologists
"Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people." -- Edward Robert Harrison
I hope things get back to normal as soon as possible.