The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Hey! You! Yeah, You! What do you do?
I'm a bit of a mad scientist. I've got a couple of patents in (computer) natural language processing and my current work involves training recurrent neural networks to translate from one natural language to another. Usually I work on a contract basis, but I actually kind of suck at selling my services so I go for long-ish periods between bouts of paid employment.

During my most recent long-ish period of unemployment I've been experimenting and it turns out that one of my experiments works unexpectedly well. It's a technical advancement in neural network training that makes them less sensitive to mistakes in the initial parameters (self-adjusting, self-optimizing ... it's actually kind of a big deal). So I'm now trying to write several academic-type papers about it, as a bit of resume polishing.

There was some initial confusion, but my current client's attorney is now aware that they have no legit claim to it as intellectual property, as I did the primary work before they hired me and have solid evidence of the work done before the date (although I discovered the full extent of the effects after the date). So I'm applying it to their business requirements, but the intellectual property is mine. Yay me. But my paper will have to show an application in a different area because the thing I did for them is all tangled up with their IP.

So I'm demo'ing the technique in a vision application instead. Graphics and visual processing is kind of new ground for me, but for all that it's compute heavy, it doesn't have as many complicated fiddly bits as natural-language processing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hey! You! Yeah, You! What do you do? - by Bear - 02-11-2016, 08:28 PM