The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

New Arrival
Hi, I'm new to the forum. For a long time I've enjoyed reading Encyclopedia Galactica for its unique style and very unique content, but now I think it's time to join other people in discussing the setting and hopefully chime in with my own contributions.

I like the many entries on biotechnology and xenosophonts, which appeal to both my novelty-seeking and biophilic streaks. The To'ul'h are one of my favourite alien species because of how they combine both strange and familiar elements into a very plausible package, though I definitely appreciate off-the-wall stuff like the Magvivisystem. I'm also fond of the various futuristic philosophies and religions (like Omegism, Platonic Materialism, Sophism, etc.). The Reality Intertextualization Project caught my eye for similar reasons.

Lately, though, I've been mulling over some ideas related to intelligence augmentation tech. For example, it seems to fit the hacker/kludger theme of the Cyberian Network for someone to try reverse-engineering the interface to an IA 'black box' as a code library for their own (sub-sophont) software projects. This could result in strange intelligences (animin and vots), smart tools or unusual virches, but of course, since it's an abuse of the system, there would be all sorts of malicious or buggy applications too. Does this seem like something that would fit in with the Cyberians?
Hi! Welcome to OA!

The idea you mention sounds intriguing, and a bit scary; perhaps you could elaborate a bit. Which IA 'black boxes' are you describing, and why would the Cyberians try to reverse engineer them? What would be the most likely result? Are you talking about breaking into someone else's private exoself?
Hi, Welcome to OASmile

As Steve mentions, your idea sounds like it has the potential to be both intriguing and scary - and we like intriguing and scary!

Given the sheer scale of the setting, it seems likely that someone(s) somewhere(s) will try almost everything at some point or other, including things that are the other side of the line when it comes to issues of legality, ethics, or morality (however a given person or culture may define those things).

I can't think of any issues of OA Canon or the like that might prevent what you seem to be describing, but I'd suggest initially posting your thoughts and ideas to our General Setting Discussion sub-forum first, before formally writing them up as EG entries. That's generally a good idea with any new ideas, at least at first. Once you get into the swing of things, it's also fine to post things as EG articles from the start. Most members do a mix of both, depending on the subject matter, their area of expertise, and what they feel like doing.

Hope this helps, looking forward to reading more about your ideas, and once again:

Welcome to OA!

Todd
Alright, I've posted a thread in the General Settings Discussion forum to discuss the concept. Let's see what we can get out of it.