The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Hi, i'm new to this forum
Hi, my name all along the internet is Avengium, a compound name, and i'm spanish, but i try to write english better every day. Smile

I enjoy a lot reading OA. Sometimes too much neologisms.
I like to read about real science (biology, physics, etc.) and sci-fi and i like the worldbuilding. And i also like the philopsophy and knowledge topics. I'm a knowledge eater. Smile

I write about my own fictional species too. And i like to coin my own neologisms too (sometimes technobabble).

I hope we can do a lot of things together. Smile
Welcome to the project!
James Rogers, Professional Idiot
Hi! Welcome to OA Smile

Todd
Hey welcome to the forums! Feel free to dive right in with ideas, questions and comments. What's your favourite part of OA?
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
(10-05-2016, 12:10 AM)Rynn Wrote: Hey welcome to the forums! Feel free to dive right in with ideas, questions and comments. What's your favourite part of OA?

There's too much. Smile But i think, one of the things i like is that the Setting is imaginative and at the same time some of the things are plausible and are explained in the setting.

I like both science and myth, and with a well-crafted story almost everything is possible. Science is not a "burden", but a way to discover unexpected new truths.

I tend to create biological species that don't interact with transapients, but i think in this setting biological is "outclassed", "outdated". Is that the word?. What do you think?
(10-05-2016, 01:34 AM)Avengium Wrote: I tend to create biological species that don't interact with transapients, but i think in this setting biological is "outclassed", "outdated". Is that the word?. What do you think?

I would say it's more complicated than that.

While the majority of the setting population consists of intelligent software, and the ruling entities are machines, biology still plays a major role in the OA universe. Genetically engineered organisms (many of them people) are found all over the place and at least a couple of the major empires (the Zoeific Biopolity, the Red Star M'pire) employ biology over cybernetics whenever possible, with the M'pire even going so far as to create a Fourth Singularity(?) entity based on biology.

There are cultures that have little use for the biological, and others that put it on a pedestal. But in between those extremes there is a vast range of cultures that use biotech to one degree or another. Within that range there is plenty of room for additional biological species (intelligent or not) if you're of a mind to create themSmile

My 2c worth,

Todd
Thanks Drashner. I'm glad to hear that. Big Grin

One of the last books i have read was "The Last and First Men" (1930) of William Olaf Stapledon. This book seems like transhumanism, but without IA's. I loved the wide range of different humanities in the book. Smile
Welcome to the forum!
Yes, Last and First Men is inspirational, and so is Starmaker (which takes the concept much further) but I'm puzzled that Stapledon failed to predict artificial intelligence. He predicted genetic engineering, Dyson spheres, and various kinds of stellar engineering; but he doesn't seem to have considered the idea of mind without biology. The largest minds in his universe were genetically engineered brains, or perhaps the swarm intelligences of the Martians and of the Symbiots (from Starmaker) but these are still biological minds.

There were stories about artificial minds in SF at this time, but they were generally limited in scope, mentally or morally inferior to humans, and obedient (or rebellious). It isn't really until Asimov writes about Multivac the ubiquitous computer mind that we start to glimpse the possibilities of AI unbounded by limits of size or complexity.
I love Asimov stories, i read books and books of Asimov.
Talking about Multivac, "The last Question" is really awesome. I love the journey through the future of humanity and the quote "Let there be light" talking about reverting entropy. Big Grin
Hi, i have some questions:

1) What is the meaning of Y11k? There is an article titled Y11k?

2) Why the future humans have 6 standard genders?

3) Are these genders standards among tweaks and other terragens too?
Splices and Provolves have their own genders or have the 6 standard genders?

Thanks. Big Grin