The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Optogenetics, RL science for the Red Star 'M'pire
Hi,
I heard about Optogenetics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optogenetics
"It is a neuromodulation method employed in neuroscience that uses a combination of techniques from optics and genetics to control and monitor the activities of individual neurons in living tissue—even within freely-moving animals—and to precisely measure the effects of those manipulations in real-time."

This reminds me the Lums and the light transference inside Lums bodies. Big Grin
Genetically implemented photosensitivity is one possible way for increasing the rate of data transfer between electronic impulses and nerve cells in DNI technology. Other routes include increased sensitivity to magnetic, chemical or electrical signals. It seems quite possible to me that many DNI interface routes will incorporate moderately tweaked cells as receptors.
(11-11-2016, 05:57 AM)stevebowers Wrote: Genetically implemented photosensitivity is one possible way for increasing the rate of data transfer between electronic impulses and nerve cells in DNI technology. Other routes include increased sensitivity to magnetic, chemical or electrical signals. It seems quite possible to me that many DNI interface routes will incorporate moderately tweaked cells as receptors.

Agreed, but the modification doesn't necessarily have to be genetic. The DNI connections could synthesise and insert light-sensitive ion-channels themselves, replacing them over time as they are recycled by the neuron.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!