The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Certain terms in Orion's Arm I don't understand.
(12-07-2016, 12:16 PM)Maelum Wrote: Alright, a new term I don't recognize: what are "Heroms"?

Hm. Interesting. I've done a search of the site and there doesn't appear to be an actual article or definition for this term. Looking at the dates of the articles, they seem to mostly come from very early in the history of the project and are mostly written by the same people (two founding members of the OA project, actually).

If I had to guess, I'd say that they started putting OA together, had an idea for this term, and what it meant, and incorporated it into the articles. But never got around to creating an actual article for it.

Alternatively, perhaps the term itself changed, but they never went back and updated the articles. Specifically, OA has long had hermaphrodites as one of the standard near-baseline human genders. A nickname for hermaphrodites in the setting is 'herm'. Part of me wonders if it might have originally been 'herom' and then got changed for some reason. Although, given that herms are considered a gender, rather than a distinct clade or species that wouldn't really fit with our standard practice - although 'standard practice' could have been a lot fuzzier back then than it is now.

Anyway, we could either remove the term (it only shows up about half a dozen times in the EG and never in a big way.), replace it with 'herm' - or someone could invent a new race or clade to go with it.

Todd

Messages In This Thread
RE: Certain terms in Orion's Arm I don't understand. - by Drashner1 - 12-07-2016, 01:21 PM