The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Tranquillity Calendar Converter Tool
(02-13-2017, 03:51 AM)Bear Wrote: Rynn's example where two travelers take trips lasting 16.66 years according to the first-light framework, but have subjectively experienced 3.2 and 12.8 years respectively, sounds correct to me. He's right, on further reflection, about the direction of the clock adjustment involved in traveling from the older to the younger end of the same wormhole.

Working through it again I seemed to have made an error and stated the journey times as too short. I've edited my post and am pretty sure I'm correct now. I don't have access to anything useful like excel atm so this is all being worked out with pen, paper, calculator and brain. My working out for anyone to check:
  • Alice and Bob start in Alpha on the 1st of Archimedes 9000a.t.
  • Bob travels to Gamma and from the perspective of Alpha has travelled back in time to 8990a.t.
  • Bob sets off immediately towards Beta, a distance of 20 light years, at 0.6c. He experiences time dilation of 80% relative to the three systems and when he starts his journey his DNI-calendar says it's still 1st of Archimedes 9000a.t.
  • Alice travels to Beta and from the perspective of Alpha has travelled forward in time to 9010a.t.
  • Alice sets off immediately towards Gamma, a distance of 20 light years, at 0.6c. She experiences time dilation of 80% relative to the three systems and when she starts her journey her DNI-calendar says it's still 1st of Archimedes 9000a.t.
  • At the point in time in which Alice sets off Bob has been travelling for 20 years from Alpha's perspective. At 0.6c he has travelled 12 light years. Due to relativity his calendar now reads 9016a.t.
  • At this point Bob and Alice are now 8 light years apart, travelling towards each other at 0.6c.
  • Given their speed and distance they meet up 4 light years from Beta. Bob has travelled a total distance of 16 light years in 26.66 years but due to relativity his calendar says that only 21.33 years have passed.
  • Alice, having travelled 4 light years at 0.6c, has taken 6.66 years to reach Bob but due to dime dilation it feels like 5.33 years.

Interestingly (and probably obviously to anyone who doesn't find it hard to think about this) the sum total of their subjective journey time is equivalent to Bob's journey time as measured from any of the systems.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tranquillity Calendar Converter Tool - by Rynn - 02-13-2017, 04:34 AM