The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Illustrated Backstory Redesign
I like the redistribution. But i suggest adding a highlight effect on the page button on the bottom of the page.
I know what you mean, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. So far I've been copying HTML from the top of the page to the bottom of the page.
(10-01-2017, 09:14 PM)selden Wrote: http://www.orionsarm.com/xcms.php?r=oa-backstory&page=5

The sentence

Sophont philosophy and cultures were formed, reformed, and remade as sophisticated memetic tools performed their work.

is ambiguous. I suspect it is meant "as ... tools manipulated people's actions." but it could also be taken as "as ... tools labored on people's behalf."

I've adjusted the sentence as follows:

Sophont philosophies and cultures were formed, reformed, and remade as sophisticated memetic tools performed their work upon them.

Does this work better?

Todd
Yes, it does.
Selden
So, barring any additional feedback, it looks like the update and merging of the Illustrated Backstory and the Primer are basically done.

I have a couple of odds and ends I need to take care of, mainly combining the Primer Glossary with the main OA Glossary (because why have two?), but will do that as a spare time activity here and there.

This then leaves us with the last major outstanding part of the project - updating the side links on the OA business pages.

My thinking at this point is that I would remove the Primer button and change the title of the Illustrated Backstory button to either just 'Backstory' or to 'Backstory/Primer'. That the Backstory includes illustrations is no longer a notable item by modern website standards, so I don't see any reason to keep that part in the title.

Is there a preference for one title over the other, or a suggestion for a different title that I haven't thought of?

I figure I'll make this change by the weekend, so please have any preferences or additional thoughts posted by then.

Thanks!

Todd
This has now been done.

The Illustrated Backstory button has been renamed 'Backstory/Primer' and the Primer button has been removed.

One to the next adventure.

Todd