The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

The Expanse and its compatibility with OA
Being a SF show and not a documentary some liberties are taken.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
I watched it for it's first season but as I work the graveyard shift the hours it was on were not compatible to me getting enough sleep or getting to work on time. It was interesting but not interesting enough to me to sacrifice for.
Evidence separates truth from fiction.
(03-14-2017, 06:45 PM)ai_vin Wrote: I watched it for it's first season but as I work the graveyard shift the hours it was on were not compatible to me getting enough sleep or getting to work on time. It was interesting but not interesting enough to me to sacrifice for.

You can watch on it of thr SyFy channel site whenever you want.
(03-15-2017, 01:58 AM)QwertyYerty Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 06:45 PM)ai_vin Wrote: I watched it for it's first season but as I work the graveyard shift the hours it was on were not compatible to me getting enough sleep or getting to work on time. It was interesting but not interesting enough to me to sacrifice for.

You can watch on it of thr SyFy channel site whenever you want.

If you have Kodi installed on your computer, its SyFy plugin provides direct access to each episode so you don't have to wade through all of the Web site's self-advertising. (I dunno if it works outside the U.S., though.)
Selden
The season finale was pretty much a scene from OA universe. Amazing!
Whenever I read that Ceres was "spun up", I just add under my breath "...In sections", and good old cognitive dissonance handles the rest.
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the lack of radiator. The overpowered engines come in as a close second. Without radiators, the waste heat from the drive would immediately turn the ship into plasma. While they can indeed be reduced, I don't believe we can completely direct all energy into the thrust. Some will remain as waste heat that you need to use gigantic radiators to dissipate.
(05-17-2019, 03:01 AM)The Astronomer Wrote: The overpowered engines come in as a close second. 

My take is that the Belt must have been originally settled with low thrust ion drives or something similar. So the large Belter fleet and perhaps even shipyards were not seen as much of a threat by Earth and Mars. When the torch drive was invented, the design got out, the Belters happily adopted it, and now they've got a grudge, access to far off places, and thousands of potential WMDs. Not happy times for the major powers.

As for the thermodynamics, just let it slide this time. No one should be chained to a radiator.
(05-17-2019, 05:31 AM)Noclevername Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 03:01 AM)The Astronomer Wrote: The overpowered engines come in as a close second. 

My take is that the Belt must have been originally settled with low thrust ion drives or something similar. So the large Belter fleet and perhaps even shipyards were not seen as much of a threat by Earth and Mars. When the torch drive was invented, the design got out, the Belters happily adopted it, and now they've got a grudge, access to far off places, and thousands of potential WMDs. Not happy times for the major powers.

As for the thermodynamics, just let it slide this time. No one should be chained to a radiator.

Let thermodynamics slide? Sure, really convenient handwave. Because nobody wants ships that can't accelerate faster than 0.1g in their epic action-packed stories, right?

...I wonder if we'll ever get a good hard space SF with no one big lie. Preferably those which aren't military SF as well.
I only added the let it slide line so I could add the next sentence. It was a setup.