The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Krasnikov tube vs Worm Holes and Alubierre Drive
The bottom line with all of these forms of metric engineering (warp drives, wormholes, or Krasnikov tubes) is that they rely on the same basic technology - that is to say a method of generating and controlling significant to astronomical amounts of exotic matter/energy that can violate the Average Null Energy Condition (ANEC). And because space and time are one and the same thing (space-time) then any kind of messing around with space is going to result in some form of messing around with time - which means potential time machines and potentially some form of Visser Collapse or an equivalent.

Going back to the original post on the thread - I'm not sure that it's correct to speak in terms of one or another of these being more or less realistic or plausible or 'hard science' - because they are all essentially different sides of the same coin in many respects. You can differentiate based on what you're wanting to do (and the tradeoffs involved) and the amount of exotic mass-energy required or the stability of the thing you are creating. But I don't think it really makes sense to speak in terms of what is more or less 'hard science'

My 2c worth,

Todd

Messages In This Thread
RE: Krasnikov tube vs Worm Holes and Alubierre Drive - by Drashner1 - 05-05-2017, 03:03 AM