The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Other Worldbuilding Projects
Hi All, 

Just out of curiosity, do any of you know of other group world-building projects in sci-fi or fantasy that are somewhat similar to OA? By similar I mean scope wise. 

Just popped into my head like an hour ago but I haven't been able to find anything by googling so I thought to ask you.

Thanks.
In terms of sheer volume of space and time included, not that I'm aware of.

I've heard of a number of group projects that seem to include a fair bit to a lot of worldbuilding such as SCP Foundation, or the Whateley Universe, but my sense is that their focus is around the creation of stories or vignettes set in their universes, so the worldbuiling likely happens as a side effect of the story.

A good place to look for this sort of thing is the TV Tropes Wiki/Website. Look for a particular trope and then at the 'Web Original' category and a number of projects are listed. Not sure how large their scope is, but it might be fun looking through them to try to find out.

Hope this helps,

ToddSmile
Offtopics and Extras; Other Cool Stuff General Off-topic Discussion What other worlds do you have?
http://www.orionsarm.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2011

Other members of OA have similar worldbuilding projects i think. BUT as Drashner says: "their focus is around the creation of stories or vignettes set in their universes, so the worldbuiling likely happens as a side effect of the story."

OA is also about stories too. But due to our effort for the credibility of the setting we are more centered about the worldbuilding. A lot of unrealistic stories of other settings can happen only in Virch or similar circunstances.

For example, the setting i write along with @Jakeukalane, The Milegu is highly fantastical. Has a scope of infinite planes among infinite timelines. But has a lot less detail than the other projects.
Alternatehistory.com has some very detailed timelines. It also has lots of superficial and silly stuff, but some of it is very detailed. The site even has its own wiki. There are some similar sites which were founded by former members, such as historyalternate.com

http://alternate-timelines.proboards.com/ is another new one.