The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Star Trek Discovery
I've just finished watching the first 2 episodes. I have to say I liked it. I would regard myself as a bit of a trekkie. I do feel the show has got the spirit of Trek, although I'm a bit confused as to where it fits in with regard to larger continuity, but I'm willing to roll along with things.

What does everyone else think?
I am going to avoid this thread until later (I'm under strict instructions not to watch it until my girlfriend gets home from her lateshift) but I am quite excited! I'm a long time trekkie (though I completely acknowledge that the shows are so old they're hard to get into if you don't have the nostalgia) and it's been too long since we've had a good space adventure serial.

I'm a bit wary about the choice of timeline as this takes place before TOS but after ENT (a period that seems like it would be quite limited and boring without retcons) but optimistic.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
I saw the first episode. It wasn't bad, but left things hanging a bit, rather obviously on purpose. My interest in it is heavily tempered by the fact that in order to keep watching it, I am expected to pony up money for a streaming service I don't have now and have no interest in getting.

Other thoughts on the show itself, but don't want to risk providing spoilers for those who haven't seen it and want to. More later maybe.

Todd
Guna post my thoughts later but what is the viewing situation in the US? Is it being shown weekly on TV but can only be watched afterwards on CBS access? It's just on Netflix in the UK (and most other countries I think).
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
Here it's only available on CBSAccess (Netflix USA isn't carrying it). They did the first episode or two on CBS to build interest, but moving forward it's only available for streaming.

CBSAccess is around $5/month with commercials or $10/month without - which is more than I'm willing to pay just to watch one show.

I'm not overwhelmed with what they did with the Klingons either.

My 2c worth,

Todd
I don't want to be *that guy* Wink

...but it is available from streaming sites that are...umm...less than official  Smile
OK, I watched EP 4 last night so if you don't want any spoilers STOP READING.
All summer the promos were teasing us with "a new way to fly" and now we know how the "spore drive" works. ---- They fed the mushroom spores to a giant tardigrade (I kid you not) and it then guided the ship along the filaments of mycelium that permeates the universe.

WTF?!?! Are they really telling us their "new way to fly" is that they're tripping out on magic mushrooms? And they expect their fans to PAY to watch this?  
Evidence separates truth from fiction.
The introduction of "spore drive" in Episode 3 was enough to convince me that this latest incarnation, IMO, is beyond salvation. I'll stick with The Orville instead.

Radtech497
"I'd much rather see you on my side, than scattered into... atoms." Ming the Merciless, Ruler of the Universe
I've never been bothered by the technobabble in Trek (although I wish it was more consistent). A fungal cosmazoan that partly exists in subspatial tunnels and can be engineered to carry a ship rapidly through said tunnels isn't the weirdest thing they've ever written. And at least the development of such rapid travel is being given its proper respect. There are multiple episodes of older Trek where super-transwap drives are casually encountered/invented only to never be mentioned again.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
I do in fact like Star Trek Discovery. Is a subspace mushroom as bad as when in Enterprise the Klingon were stealing Hydrogen? The most abundant element in the universe. *Triggered*