The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

A Middle Tech Society Without Access to the Net
(12-03-2017, 06:29 AM)Rynn Wrote: Define “access”. Do pneumatic tubes carrying hard drives at high speed through pipes count? The meat of my question is what wording does one use for this prohibition that can’t be worked around in with relative ease?

EDIT: To clarify more I get what you’re trying to ask but if we’re trying to be realistic about it you’ll end up with a pseudo-internet anyway (there are far too many advantages to linking up those islands, even if just by data courier). If you’re trying to forbid anything of the sort then answering what society would be like is going to require more info to figure out properly. Without that the answer is just going to be contrived and obvious.
I would not be strictly against some form of pseudo-internet, and it would be an interesting thought experiment on how a society would overcome that limitation. So, pneumatic tubes carrying hard drives at high speed through pipes it not out of the question.

But, if a society where NO system even approaching like that is feasible, what information do you need exactly?

if you mean what kind of data that can't be sent, I mean digital information, like bytes. Though, perhaps bytes could be transfered, just not through electrical signals. Or maybe a society that just doesn't transfer digital information at all, through any medium, for some strange reason. 

I hope I clarified this.
Ever make mistakes in life? Let's make them birds. Yeah, they're birds now.

~ Bob Ross

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Middle Tech Society Without Access to the Net - by Vaktus - 12-03-2017, 08:11 AM