The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

New form of light: Newly observed optical state could enable quantum computing
New form of light: Newly observed optical state could enable quantum computing with photons

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-newly-opti...antum.html

I dunno to what extent this might apply to OA's computing model, perhaps competing with plasma processors or clarifying how they work, for example.

Quote:In a paper published today in the journal Science, the team, led by Vladan Vuletic, the Lester Wolfe Professor of Physics at MIT, and Professor Mikhail Lukin from Harvard University, reports that it has observed groups of three photons interacting and, in effect, sticking together to form a completely new kind of photonic matter.

Vuletic says the results demonstrate that photons can indeed attract, or entangle each other. If they can be made to interact in other ways, photons may be harnessed to perform extremely fast, incredibly complex quantum computations.
Selden
And a related article from a few years ago:

Scientists create never-before-seen form of matter
https://phys.org/news/2013-09-scientists...-seen.html

Quote:Lukin also suggested that the system might one day even be used to create complex three-dimensional structures – such as crystals – wholly out of light.
Selden
Hm. Historically we've not dug too deeply into the role or power of quantum computing in the setting, mainly because I don't think most of us understand it well enough to feel comfortable about trying to predict what role it might play in the setting or how it might stack up against other computing tech.

Based on that, I'd probably be leery of comparing this sort of thing to plasma processors - but I do think it could be fun to think about potential applications of this, especially if it could be scaled up to some great degree. If you can quantum entangle a whole bunch of photons could you get more powerful lasers for example? Or some amplified effect like the 'photon tractor beam' we read about a while ago?

We used to have something in the setting called 'photonanotech' that apparently used light to do a lot of its thing. And we currently do have 'quantum nanotech' (aka nanotech with no moving parts). Perhaps this effect could play a role there?

Just some thoughts,

Todd
(02-19-2018, 02:31 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: Hm. Historically we've not dug too deeply into the role or power of quantum computing in the setting, mainly because I don't think most of us understand it well enough to feel comfortable about trying to predict what role it might play in the setting or how it might stack up against other computing tech.

I'm working of a draft of material covering just that