The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel
I think some form of master timeline is a good idea, for a variety of reasons:

a) It could be a useful tool for both the Editors and for the general membership to help maintain a consistent timeline and add new date related content.

b) Our current timelines are proving inadequate to properly represent the full scale and scope of OA history.

c) I think/hope it would make it easier for readers to also take in and gain an understanding of that same scale and scope.

That said, I'm not totally against local system or planetary timelines (assuming we can figure out a way to better manage them than we have to date), and I agree that timelines for things like technology are useful, both for forum discussion reference and EG article or story development. However, I think we need to try to come up with a better way of managing this aspect of the project. A master timeline that could be filtered by (for example) the primary topics of the EG or something similar could very much help with that.

If there were to be a master timeline and also other 'sub-timelines' on the site, perhaps the master could link to them in some fashion and/or act as the basis for them. We might update the master timeline, filter and sort it to display the relevant historical information for a sub-timeline, and then take a 'snapshot' of that information to embed on the relevant page.

Or something like that. It would depend on how clever we are with the spreadsheet design.

My 2c worth,

Todd

Messages In This Thread
Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by Drashner1 - 04-08-2018, 08:31 AM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by selden - 04-09-2018, 04:04 AM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by Rynn - 04-13-2018, 06:49 PM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by Rynn - 05-09-2018, 04:32 AM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by Vaktus - 05-10-2018, 03:07 AM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by selden - 05-10-2018, 06:38 AM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by Vaktus - 05-23-2018, 01:53 PM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by Drashner1 - 06-22-2018, 02:54 PM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by selden - 06-24-2018, 04:46 AM