The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Sophont's Gallery
A suggestion for the site redesign - redesign the Sophonts pages to be more visual, similar to the new V:FT page design by Arik:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91306189@N0...otostream/

In this case, there could be a different tab for each major class of sophont (transapients, modosophonts, Xenosophonts) and then each tab could be divided up into sections for the different races and clades (nebs, provolves, neogens, etc.). A menu at the top of each page would let you 'jump' down the page to the location of a given type of race. Each individual race would have a thumbnail image with the name of the race that would link to the EG article for that particular race.

This could provide a more visual way of displaying the different beings in OA.

Thoughts?

Todd
(07-30-2013, 12:39 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: A suggestion for the site redesign - redesign the Sophonts pages to be more visual, similar to the new V:FT page design by Arik:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91306189@N0...otostream/

In this case, there could be a different tab for each major class of sophont (transapients, modosophonts, Xenosophonts) and then each tab could be divided up into sections for the different races and clades (nebs, provolves, neogens, etc.). A menu at the top of each page would let you 'jump' down the page to the location of a given type of race. Each individual race would have a thumbnail image with the name of the race that would link to the EG article for that particular race.

This could provide a more visual way of displaying the different beings in OA.

Thoughts?

Todd

I really like this idea. I've wanted to do this sometimes but never made the time for it. Technically, there's the Personalities section of the art gallery, but it's obviously not quite..encyclopedic enough.

I normally would not suggest such restrictions on this group, but it might be helpful to request that it would be helpful if any images of sophonts for this gallery are displayed "clearly, and diagrammatically, facing forward and back, with a white, grey, black (or maybe just..object free) background."
or something like that.

the blank standardized background comes in handy when you want to do this, like putting all of the creatures into 1 diagram.

eventually, cladograms and size comparisons would be nice.
I like the idea of this sort of illustration for this, although I'm worried that we'd have trouble coming up with all the images. We have a wide range of styles and skill levels among our members when it comes to artwork and so holding everyone to one standard could result in only a few images being created.

Perhaps we could have a goal of having such images and placing them in the thumbs as we get them, but start out with the images we have or can create when the time comes and then convert over as we go along?

That said, I'm not an artist and so don't know how hard this sort of illustration would be.

Todd
(07-31-2013, 11:17 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: I like the idea of this sort of illustration for this, although I'm worried that we'd have trouble coming up with all the images. We have a wide range of styles and skill levels among our members when it comes to artwork and so holding everyone to one standard could result in only a few images being created.

Perhaps we could have a goal of having such images and placing them in the thumbs as we get them, but start out with the images we have or can create when the time comes and then convert over as we go along?

That said, I'm not an artist and so don't know how hard this sort of illustration would be.

Todd

that all sounds workable- I just say that the 'standards" are more of a suggestion than a rule... more, "if you want a standard to adhere to, here's a standard to follow. but go ahead and depict what you want"
but for OA, yes. it's probably easier to have no particular standard.

I suggest the diagramatic view with a blank background format because it's usually easier and faster to draw/sculpt. The posing of the figure is usually simple and you don't have to worry about perspective in a front view and side view drawing.