The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Hello
(08-22-2018, 11:48 PM)Abyzou Wrote: Hi, I found this project on TVTropes and have been following it for several years now, and I figured it's about time I joined the forums. I just have two very minor questions that have been bugging me:

Welcome to the forums Smile

(08-22-2018, 11:48 PM)Abyzou Wrote: 1. Regarding the recently updated article on "hyperfog", it says that some kinds of hyperfog replicate using atmospheric resources like carbon dioxide (and powered by sunlight). Which I take to mean that it breaks down the CO2 and uses the carbon to make diamondoid which forms the foglets? Here's the thing; wouldn't hyperfog made of diamondoid constitute a fuel air explosive? Doesn't sound like a very stable thing for a transap to make its hyperfog out of. Wouldn't a better choice be corundum (aluminium oxide)? Which unfortunately isn't quite as common as carbon.

There isn't just one design of foglet (or any smart matter for that matter), there are likely thousands to millions of different "breeds" optimised for different roles in different environments. In answer to this specific question there are other resources in a terrestrial atmosphere that could be used to make carbon based materials without that risk, such as using the moisture in the air to make polymeric coatings to protect any carbon-based diamondoid structures from the atmosphere.

(08-22-2018, 11:48 PM)Abyzou Wrote: 2. How exactly do you pronounce "Archailect"? I don't think I've seen any hints or guides on how it's pronounced. My first guess is "ark-ay-eye-lect", but I hope it's not that... because that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

I pronounce it "ark-ah-lect". The "ai" syllable could be said as either "eye" or "ay" and I tend to mush them together a bit.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!

Messages In This Thread
Hello - by Abyzou - 08-22-2018, 11:48 PM
RE: Hello - by Rynn - 08-22-2018, 11:58 PM
RE: Hello - by stevebowers - 08-23-2018, 01:58 AM
RE: Hello - by Drashner1 - 08-23-2018, 03:47 AM
RE: Hello - by Abyzou - 08-23-2018, 07:03 AM