The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

The Technium: Brains of White Matter
This bit is interesting.
Quote:Second, it is not what you have, but how you arrange it. Human brains have less gray matter than a whale. Our conscious problem solving abilities stem from arranging that finite matter into more highly structured processes. Complexity can be gained without additional materials. Today computer scientists believe that we need millions more transistors to get artificial intelligence in machines, but it is more probable that we already have sufficient multitudes of neurons and that what we need is a better way to program and organize them. I find it very likely, if not certain, that in the near future – let’s say the year 2075 – two high school seniors will create a working artificial intelligence for their science fair using about 100 Intel Pentium chips found in ancient 2005-era Dell PCs they unearth from a landfill. All that we are missing back here in their past is their advance know-how, that additional organizational entropy.
Somehow I am sceptical that a backyard operation of this kind could replicate the end-result of a billion years of evolution. But this does tap into a few unsupported speculations of my own; I think that the organisation of the processing array is much more important than its sheer bulk. It may be possible, even for modosophont-level tech, to emulate a fully sophont mind using a hundredth of the bulk of a human brain, even using processors with the same computational density as brain tissue, if the processors are arranged in an optimum fashion.

And applying this idea to the concept of toposophic levels in OA, the smartest modosophont brains would be large, bloated and inefficient compared to a properly organised transapient mind. And maybe a sufficiently competent transapient could design a human-equivalent processor array that was as small as a thousandth of the mass or bulk of a human brain.

The final consideration is; a very large brain like a Jupiter Brain or Matrioshka Brain could end up being nearly all 'white matter', unless the processors involved are organised in an exceptionally clever way. Maybe these large entities are more like communities of nearly independent elements that co-operate rather than link together directly.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Technium: Brains of White Matter - by stevebowers - 12-02-2018, 05:10 PM