The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Google AI Crushes Starcraft
It's interesting, how many people are now arguing about the "unfairness" of the match, because AlphaStar could instantly focus its attention on any part of the map, it has visited before. In the last game they put a restriction on it that forced it to use the camera-view in the same way as a human would and it lost. Now many people seem to think that this loss happened due to this restriction. However I think that it lost, because the agent, they used for this game, simply wasn't trained enough and thus succumbed to some sort of "trick-play" from its human opponent and not due to the camera restriction. At least that's the feeling, I got, when I watched some analyses by different commentators on youtube.

Makes me wonder, what Vernor Vinge would have to say about all this. He's the one, who said in 1993 that "30 years from now" AI would outperform humans in all intellectual areas. But maybe humans don't even need an AGI in order to create a "good world"? Perhaps sub-turing AIs based onĀ AlphaFold or AlphaStar will be enough to find cures for all diseases, including aging? It's an open question.
"Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people." -- Edward Robert Harrison

Messages In This Thread
Google AI Crushes Starcraft - by Drashner1 - 01-25-2019, 11:48 PM
RE: Google AI Crushes Starcraft - by chris0033547 - 01-27-2019, 07:31 AM
RE: Google AI Crushes Starcraft - by Drashner1 - 01-28-2019, 01:01 PM
RE: Google AI Crushes Starcraft - by Rynn - 02-16-2019, 10:32 PM