The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Wormholes do not conserve charge
tl;dr Passing a charged particle through a wormhole does not leave the mouth charged

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1904.04103.pdf

This pretty conclusively resolves the discussion between Luke and I in my favor. 

Note Figure 6 (the standard argument) vs. Figure 9, which is essentially what I argued: Stoke’s Theorem does not hold in non-trivial topologies. 

An extra technical consideration is the “Gauge-free” condition, which essentially says that background Maxwell fields (e.g. H) are well-defined.

I did not consider the gauge-free condition. Both are required for charge conservation to occur, and both are violated in intra-universal wormholes (see the end of section V). 

By the way, this is a good thing. If it were not true, you could generate infinite charge from a single charged particle by repeatedly passing it through wormhole mouths. 

In this formulation, the charge is still the same no matter how many times it’s threaded through the wormhole.
Interesting. If a wormhole can’t be charged I imagine it can’t be moved with a magnetic field. Given that they also aren’t physical objects you can manipulate with physical tools what anchors a wormhole to a linelayer for transportation?
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
(04-09-2019, 04:55 PM)Rynn Wrote: Interesting. If a wormhole can’t be charged I imagine it can’t be moved with a magnetic field. Given that they also aren’t physical objects you can manipulate with physical tools what anchors a wormhole to a linelayer for transportation?

You can still charge a wormhole by keeping said charge in the throat. 

The wormhole doesn’t retain that charge once it has passed into the other asymptotically flat region.
Ahh I see. Thanks for explaining Smile
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!