The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Now, what did I just wander into... No way.......
Oooh! Thanks! This thread is really becoming a developed resource. Thanks!

To go again at the setting, that’s why I’d like to create a religion within OA. This will enable narratives that are imaginary in OA to exist, but the spirit of the narratives will match the spirit of The OA narrative.

BTW Steve, I actually do not know many theories on multiverse. I only have the one I’ve imagined in my mind. This has limited me in my ability to express simply. Your description just helped me cement mine! Thank you thank you.

Mine is a sphere with 6-dimensions. The four for space time, the fifth for the structure of the multiverse, and the final dimension is consciousness. Do you see how this structure would make a religion within the narrative of the OA and match the setting?
Will the Wanderer --aka the Wandering Will --aka the Nomad --aka Wild Will --aka Will

"Not all that wander are lost."
~JRR Tolkien
Actually, to clarify, the 5 dimensions are for the multiverse, the 6th dimension is beyond the multiverse.
Will the Wanderer --aka the Wandering Will --aka the Nomad --aka Wild Will --aka Will

~JRR Tolkien
Oh.... sorry for the multiple posts... but I have invented math to help understand the geometry of Existence. I’ll find some way to digitize it.

~JRR Tolkien
(01-09-2020, 09:52 PM)Will the Wanderer Wrote: Oh.... sorry for the multiple posts... but I have invented math to help understand the geometry of Existence. I’ll find some way to digitize it.

Short on time atm, so I can't get into details in this post, but:

I'm going to suggest holding off on trying to post the math on this for now. Various reasons which I'll post on later, but in the immediate term I want to avoid you spending your morning trying to figure out how to scan/digitize whatever you have when it may not be the best course of action.

Sorry for sounding so mysterious - not that big of a deal really. But I am making the suggestion.

Ok, off to start the day - more later.

Todd
(01-09-2020, 10:47 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: Short on time atm, so I can't get into details in this post, but
I'm going to suggest holding off on trying to post the math on this for now. Various reasons which I'll post on later, but in the immediate term I want to avoid you spending....

I’m on board with that. Especially since I was not going to try to do that for a little while. 

I’m presenting this information in an attempt to perfectly match the narrative of OA. The setting of mine can be adjusted to match the exact formula of the OA setting. But my narrative cannot be altered.

If I’m understanding the philosophy of diversity within the Canon, then the narrative aspect should match. The math will match the narrative and spirit of OA, but since it is fictional within OA, it will not violate the established math and setting. I think the contradiction and discord to the approach of setting should also be integral to the narrative as since the over arching premise of the nontheistic religion is that diverse approaches are necessary in order to converge on the truth.

I guess my most concerning question is: Will this approach fit the overarching narrative and philosophy to the OA?

I’d be happy to spell out the details of the religion, but I too must leave for work lol

Oh space time

~JRR Tolkien
So - Picking this back up where we left off...

While it's completely fine to add another religion to the OA setting - you can't swing a catsplice in some parts of the OA setting without hitting three different religions in the process - I would advise against actually getting into the mathematics of Existence as part of adding that religion to the setting or the like. Main reason being that - unless you actually have the math background to be able to demonstrate in real world terms that your math is correct and correctly describes the universe we live in - in a debate with people who can (and sometime do) fill up multiple whiteboards or pages with equations - this seems likely to end less than well.

I don't know your background and maybe you do work with math and physics as the level of peer reviewed journals and such. But some of our members (past, present, and future) do and - if they disagree with your assertions and math and have the physics and math know-how to argue their case and you don't - it seems likely to result in upset members (possibly including yourself) and placing OA in the awkward position of having to decide either whether or not to include your math in the setting or whether or not to remove it if we have added it previously. There is also the occasionally annoying issue we've had to deal with in the past in which a member creates a controversial (in some fashion or other) EG article and then moves on to other things, leaving us in the position of defending something isn't particularly defensible (or something we want to defend).

All of which leads me back to my original assertion - I think adding a new religion to the setting is fine. But probably better to leave the math out of it.

My 2c worth,

Todd
Yay! This makes me so happy!!

I did see the religions and go, "that's a work around!"

As for the math, mine is completely made up and super simplified for the sake of making the geometrics sound plausible, or at least not unfounded by logic. I'd stand no chance against the real math, I laughed full hardily at it.

Again, I just want to learn the rules of the playground and see how I can add my play. I'm really looking into the setting more. I'm trying to pick the best candidates for this religion. I like the idea of having it practiced by modosophonts, if I'm understanding them well enough compared to the other plethora of things.

I have a character personality in mind. I think I have a healthy plot developing with the character and way to integrate the Archai S:6. It will be an interesting process. I'll get more homework done and put together a proper proposal when its ready for review of concept.

Thanks! This is fun and I can't wait to learn more.

~JRR Tolkien
(01-10-2020, 12:10 PM)Will the Wanderer Wrote: Again, I just want to learn the rules of the playground and see how I can add my play. I'm really looking into the setting more. I'm trying to pick the best candidates for this religion. I like the idea of having it practiced by modosophonts, if I'm understanding them well enough compared to the other plethora of things.

Sounds goodSmile

If it helps - Modosophonts are basically those sophont beings in the setting of roughly human-equivalent intelligence. Or intelligent beings below the First Singularity.

This encompasses everything from 'baseline humans' (people like thee and me) to humans modified to live in environments that would kill a baseline human in a heartbeat to independently evolved aliens (xenosophonts) to AIs many times smarter than a human, but still far below the level of the First Singularity.

Note that even a 'near-baseline human' (one of the most common types of modosophont in the setting) would seem pretty superhuman to one of us, given the advantages their society conveys upon them:

Nearbaseline Human Genemods

Direct Neural Interface

Tachydidaxy

Skill Modules

Personal Medical Systems

And then of course there are the Superiors...

Homo Superior Genemods

ToddSmile
To me, this has been the most enlightening and inspirational experience I think a human can have. I cannot begin to tell you how many more metaphors my story became riddled with after discovering this forum, participating in the writing, and the idea that I converged with you onto the same setting but from such a diverged point of view.

It's quite remarkable.

It'll be a little while before I write up a proposal. The two threads have become the ultimate resource for everything I need at the moment. They really helped the essentials rise from the forest. I do have a very developed overarching narrative that I cannot wait to share about how it will perfectly follow all the laws of nature within your universe and still be able to cross over to mine. I boldly claim that it will be such a successful metaphor for the multiverse, you will probably think it's a true understanding.

But enough ego, it's time to learn about you.

Thanks for everything!

~JRR Tolkien
Adding to the Encyclopedia -- What is the best approach to make it succeed? In other words, should I just write up my thoughts on how define metacognition and ClarkeGeometry and enter them for submission, or post to the discussion thread first so that it can be vetted by the community?

Thanks

~JRR Tolkien