The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Findaway Voices
Does anyone have experience with this service offered at Smashwords?

I doubt they would make an audiobook for a free ebook, would they?
(04-09-2020, 07:17 AM)The Architect Wrote: Does anyone have experience with this service offered at Smashwords?

I doubt they would make an audiobook for a free ebook, would they?

I wasn't able to find a reference to them on the Smashwords site, but they also have their own website. A quick skim seems to indicate that they charge for their services rather than taking a percentage of sales the way Smashwords does. So they probably would be willing to do it - but it would cost you.

This is just from a quick skim of the site and they may have a different arrangement with Smashwords.

Can you post a link to the part of the Smashwords site that talks about this, please? We can take a look at it and maybe see if there are more details available there.

Hope this helps,

Todd
Smashwords proposes Findaway Voices' services when we publish a new ebook. By the looks of it, it seems this is their number one source of revenue, so they tout it to their users, but a quick skim through showed me that they don't talk much about what it costs or doesn't cost (unless I missed it?). [edit: turns out I did miss it, though I had looked for it: "I understand audiobook production involves production expenses for which I (not Smashwords or Findaway Voices) will be personally responsible, and these fees will be paid directly to Findaway Voices, but only after I agree to the fees. "] Since all services at smashwords are free, at least if you don't intend to sell, it may be assumed by some users like me that Findaway Voices follows that principle as well, since they are so strongly recommended by the platform. But I am rather skeptical on this, which is why I asked for other perspectives on the subject.

Here is the link to the page I went to right after publishing my ebook. Chances are it won't work for you but there's nothing to lose, so:

https://www.smashwords.com/audiobook/agr...ew/1013948

In case you can't access that resource, I copy/paste to text here:

Quote:
Smashwords / Findaway Voices

Smashwords authors and publishers can now produce and distribute audiobooks thanks to our collaboration with Findaway Voices, one of the world's leading audiobook production and distribution platforms!
With a few clicks, you'll transmit your Smashwords ebook file and metadata into the Findaway Voices platform so you can begin auditioning narrators right away.
Audiobooks are the fastest growing segment of the book industry. Thanks to Findaway Voices, you now have a non-exclusive author-friendly option for audiobook production and distribution.  You control the list price and distribution channels, and you earn the highest possible royalty rates. No exclusivity and no lockup periods!  It's a great alternative to publishing audiobooks with Audible ACX because you're in control!
Once your ebook is produced as an audiobook at Findaway Voices, it can be distributed and sold via Findaway Voices' ever-expanding audiobook distribution network which includes Apple iTunes, Amazon Audible, Scribd, and thousands of public libraries.  As the author, you control which if any distribution channels you choose.
YOU'RE IN CONTROL EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. No production will begin until you agree to it at Findaway Voices.
If you already possess professional-quality files for your audiobooks:  You can still take advantage of this relationship.  Once you transmit your ebook file(s) and metadata to Findaway Voices, you'll see an option to bypass their production services and simply upload your audiobook for distribution.  If the ebook corresponding to your audiobook is not on Smashwords yet (or if it's locked up elsewhere such as at KDP Select), then you can bypass our one-click delivery process below and click here to open your Findaway Voices account, at which point you can upload your files directly.
Findaway Voices accepts all genres, categories and age ranges of books except certain taboo erotic categories that are prohibited by Apple iBooks, as described here.
Please review and acknowledge the program details below to get started!
I understand that audiobook production services are provided by Findaway Voices, a trusted Smashwords partner.
I understand that no audiobook production will begin until I give Findaway Voices my approval to begin. I will have the opportunity to audition narrators at Findaway Voices without cost or commitment.
I understand audiobook production involves production expenses for which I (not Smashwords or Findaway Voices) will be personally responsible, and these fees will be paid directly to Findaway Voices, but only after I agree to the fees.
I understand that neither Findaway Voices nor Smashwords can guarantee that I will sell enough copies to recoup my investment.
I understand that audiobook narration is not easily updated if I make future changes to my manuscript at Smashwords, and such updates — should I wish to make them to my audiobook in the future — would incur additional expense. Additionally, there is no guarantee that the same narrator would be available.
I certify that I am the original author, or the exclusive publisher, for the audiobook(s) I'm considering producing at Findaway Voices, and I hold all necessary rights to initiate this project if I choose.
I understand that Findaway Voices is under no obligation to accept my project.
I understand that after production, Findaway Voices will offer to distribute my audiobook to retail and library channels. I will be in control of the distribution choices, and I acknowledge royalty rates will differ among various retail, subscription, library, and other models for selling audiobooks.
I understand that, just as with Smashwords ebook retailers and library partners, Findaway Voices' sales outlets exercise full prerogative over which books they choose to sell and promote.
Using this feature, I will have the ability to select which title(s) is/are delivered to Findaway Voices for production consideration. I grant Smashwords permission to deliver the book files I select to Findaway Voices, along with my metadata and email contact information. This information will be used to assist audiobook cost estimates, narrator selection, production, and my communication with Findaway Voices representatives.
I agree that if I choose to produce a book with Findaway Voices, I will continue to honor all aspects of the Smashwords Terms of Service (latest version dated 2019-12-03).
By clicking the button below, I represent that I have read, understood, and acknowledge the items above.

Let's get started!
So I gave this a read thru and also accessed Smashwords (OA has an account actually) and was able to locate additional information there.

Basically, Smashwords has partnered with another company (Findaway Voices) in the sense that they have configured their website to talk to the Findaway Voices website such that authors can trigger the process of audiobook creation right from their Dashboard on Smashwords. No idea how this works on the back end, although I'm sure things are set up so both Smashwords and FV are making money on the deal.

However, the cost of audiobook creation (which mainly seems to be paying for the narrator) is covered by the author, not by Smashwords. It seems to average $150-$400 per hour of audiobook. Each hour of audiobook is estimated to be equivalent to about 9000 words. From there you can do the math. Also, when I checked the Findaway site directly, I saw mention of a cost estimation tool.

The upshot of all this is that Smashwords has made it easy(?) to use Faraway Voices to convert a book you've published through them into an audiobook - but you're going to have to pay for that service. I don't see anything to indicate that Smashwords would care if the book in question is configured as free or not. Faraway Voices almost certainly does not care since you would be paying them for their services. And it's likely that Smashwords either gets paid for each author that uses Faraway Voices or else doesn't care if your book is free since the vast majority of the books on their site are not.

I guess it comes down to whether or not you want to pay to have an audiobook created. Note that there are other audiobook production services out there (including Amazon based on my very quick research) and you should probably shop around and see where you can get the best deal.

Hope this helps,

Todd
I guess it's good for people who sell their books. I could do it and try to sell only the audiobook.
(04-10-2020, 06:53 PM)The Architect Wrote: I guess it's good for people who sell their books. I could do it and try to sell only the audiobook.

It's your money of course. But it looks to be rather pricey to get done.

Perhaps think about it for a bit and also do some research to get an idea of what it would cost.

Todd