The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Connecting the Website and the Forums
Quote:What's wrong with writing up all the neighbors from scratch all by yourself? [Image: tongue.gif]

I did actually try this with early articles I wrote. Highbrows, the article I wanted to rewrite most, were a subset of the Superior and Tweak categories, part of the overall human category along with Baselines and Nearbaselines. I rewrote every one of these articles purely to satisfy my OCD. I could not have tolerated just updating the Highbrow article by itself when the structure it was embedded in was so unpolished. 

My mental health was better back then, and I had a lot more energy than I do now. I was seriously considering writing up about two additional societies to go together with the Restored Ambi Limis, but there are things I need to get done in real life that I really shouldn't be putting off any more. This stuff is fun, but mentally exhausting. 

Quote:Would you be interested in taking part in such a project?

I would, depending on how we went about it. Having to bump articles in progress to catch the eye of an administrator wandering in is a nuisance. If we had a mega thread for stuff to update, with a backlog that was cleared on a semi-regular basis, it would be a lot easier on me and on other contributors as well. Not just for full rewrites, but for questionable paragraphs or sentences that could be swapped out for something more canon-friendly. 

Another issue that crops up for me is rewriting an article in a way that was faithful to the original, only to discover that the original is no longer considered kosher. This happened with the Tweaks, who I perceived as being extremophiles on the fringe of society, and with the Synthetics, who were depicted as having been deliberately enslaved. Again, it would be helpful to have a sanity check thread where the canonicity of certain concepts could be debated, so I wouldn't have to throw out work that was based on faulty assumptions.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Connecting the Website and the Forums - by extherian - 07-31-2020, 02:10 AM