The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Topic Review - Esotericism
So - to kick this project off, and because it's also the oldest item on our project list - here is the first topic to consider for possible revision:

Esotericism

Neither Science nor Art, the Esoterics stand in the borderlands between phenomena like religion, mythology and urban folklore on the one hand, and noetics on the other. Included here are shamanism, magick, occultism, astrology, hermeticism, yoga, tantra, internal alchemy, merkabistics, theosis, chiistics, numinosity physics, psychotronics, and more. For some there is no substance at all to be found in the esoterics and they are anachronisms: memetic complexes that still feed parasitically on mindkind. For others esoterics represent the "technology of the sacred": the manipulation of reality via non-physical and non-causal means. Even a few transapients have been known to speak highly of the Esoterics.

I'm not at all familiar with the topic. Are there any changes that are needed or that would improve it?

Thanks!

Todd
Esotericism is this topic: https://www.orionsarm.com/eg-topic/45b4191409bd1

At the moment, i don't know how to reword the text.
Maybe putting links in the words that have an article. [[Science]] , [[art]] , [[mythology]] , [[urban folklore]] , [[shamanism]] , [[magick]] , [[occultism]] , [[astrology]]. Etcetera. There are lots of this concepts.

The text currently is only one paragraph. Maybe expanding that into more paragraphs looks better.
For example:
- What esoteric is
- What esoteric is not.
That is inspired by the start: "Neither Science nor Art, "
A paragraph saying what is included. The different types. Inspired by "Included here are..." This part can be written as "different schools".

Another section of the text saying the theories against and In favour. Like "For some there is no substance" and "For others esoterics represent the "technology of the sacred" ".

Maybe a paragraph putting esoterics across the terragen bubble .

I don't have PC at the moment because i'm on holidays . But if you still need a sketch of a new text in the future, i return home in two weeks.
(08-18-2020, 10:06 PM)Avengium Wrote: I don't have PC at the moment because i'm on holidays . But if you still need a sketch of a new text in the future, i return home in two weeks.

This would be very helpful - Thanks!

Esotericism as a subject is well outside my normal area of knowledge and interest. If you have more knowledge on the subject and/or an interest in expanding the article (or providing a framework to expand the article) that would be hugely helpful!

I think all the specific ideas you suggested sound great, but much beyond adding hyperlinks to the existing work, the suggested additions would require me to basically start from square 1 to try to figure out/research what is being discussed here and how to present it.

Any help you can provide in this area would be much appreciated!

In the meantime, the next Topic in chronological order of creation is Megacorps. I do know something about this in OA and have some definite notions about how it might be updated. Will post something on that in the near future.

Thank you again!

Todd
Though it has a somewhat dated feel, at first glance I don’t see any major issues. Unless somebody has some additions/revisions ready to go I say we move on the the next topic. I ha Eva feeling megacorps will need some work.