The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Raised by Wolves
Is anyone else watching Raised by Wolves on HBO Max? Can’t say exactly why, but I get a bit of an OA vibe from it.
(09-12-2020, 12:35 PM)MacGregor Wrote: Is anyone else watching Raised by Wolves on HBO Max? Can’t say exactly why, but I get a bit of an OA vibe from it.

Yes, rather enjoying it though it's a bit slow. I was expecting rather lower technology than they ended up depicting - it's a shame to see a civilization with starflight, gravity control, and AI fall apart over religious bickering like that.

I'm enjoying the depiction of the androids. The actors are doing a good job of being almost human but sticking in the uncanny valley. I'd like to know more about the origin of the "necromancers" and what brought about the war.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama
The premise was excellent.. and worth watching.
but
I get that they wanted to evoke some kind of post-expulsion adam and eve or something with Mother and Father raising children in a tent, but having the "atheist" androids do such a terrible job of landing their tiny ship that they skid into a hole and eventually lose access to their equipment and tiny spacecraft lander, then don't use any advanced equipment that they clearly should have had to check for the <thing that killed most of the original children. spoilers> then years later, have the <admittedly insane> mother clearly be able to destroy -any- human she comes across in the solarist spacecraft with her sonic/ nanobot-magic powers, but instead completely destroys the entire craft and all the valuable equipment involved once she'd removed the new children from their comfortable life in a virtual reality forest in orbit to go live on an unprotected deadly planet instead, which had already killed the first batch of children with <reason>.
maybe there's some good reasons for doing all this which have yet to be revealed ?

just so many times where if they thought through it just a little more, most of the show could be logical, mostly grounded, -and- dramatic.

the prop designers and actors did a great job though. And the cinematography.
Parental vecs. This is a fairly common strategy in OA. The trouble is Kepler 22b is probably too massive for comfortable human habitation.
Good points y’all. Do we have any mentions of Kepler 22b in OA?
Any information about the religious faction in the show?