The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Experimental cosmology
Realizing that the discipline of “Experimental Cosmology” already exists caused me a frisson of cognitive dissonance. I’m sure it means something quite different in Y11K.

https://www.classe.cornell.edu/Research/...bHome.html
Selden
Heh. That's almost as much fun as 'Applied Theology'. Big Grin
Well, IIRC some of the highest energy events detected don't have a clear origins if you take for granted the current laws of physics. Again, IIRC, some of the most energetic gamma burst are explained by having a neutron start collapsing into a quark/gluon star.

Quote:Heh. That's almost as much fun as 'Applied Theology'.

Did someone said "archai" in here? Tongue
Semi-professional threads diverter.
I guess some things could be fun to theorize on, like changing universal constants like gravity or the speed of light.
I remember fondly Baxter's "Raft" book on a universe with hypergravity.
Have you read Greg Egan's books?  I haven't.  I have too much else I haven't gotten to.  But his website has the no-holds-barred extreme math behind his alternate laws of physics for his novels.
One of my favorites is "Eschatogeny" - studying the origins of world-ending events.

In the context of OA, where by this time thousands of worlds have actually ended, this is a very compelling field of study.

"Applied Eschatogeny" on the other hand is the domain of bomb-throwing anarchists, suicidal Archai-baiters, and embittered war criminals in adjacent star systems possessed of a starship drive and a very large hunk of rock.
Quote:Have you read Greg Egan's books?  I haven't.  I have too much else I haven't gotten to.  But his website has the no-holds-barred extreme math behind his alternate laws of physics for his novels.

First time hearing the name! Noted, thank you, seems quite good, at least from the titles.
I found some of his books to be slow going due to all of the exposition.
Selden