The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Thalience and transapient perspective
(10-17-2013, 06:34 AM)Dfleymmes1134 Wrote:
(10-16-2013, 07:43 AM)Rynn Wrote: Interesting piece. I find the idea of automated science fascinating and a have often wondered if there will be a time in my life when a completely robotic team composes and tests a hypothesis. I have an amusing image of seeing a fully robot researched and written paper arrive on my desk and choosing that moment to start planning retirement :p

Here's an article about where we are in the timeline of automated science

http://m.cacm.acm.org/magazines/2012/5/1...y/fulltext

Thanks. It's interesting but I'm skeptical about the twenty year timeframe for biosciences. Having worked with physicists and engineers before who are sidelining into biology I'm very aware of how difficult biology is to model compared to those disciplines. It takes all sorts of scraps of knowledge and intuition to pursue a biology project whereas something more mathematically based would be simpler for machines.

(10-17-2013, 07:44 AM)stevebowers Wrote: Automated science is going to be big in genetics research; we don't even know what to look for, yet, in many cases. A new way of looking at the way genetics is related to the abilities and health of an individual is needed; certainly the popular press gets it badly wrong. Maybe by removing human prejudices altogether we might begin to understand this stuff.

I'm sorry I can't parse this, could you explain a bit more about what you mean?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thalience and transapient perspective - by Rynn - 10-17-2013, 07:58 AM