The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Closest and Smallest Black Hole Known Discovered
I'm thinking the lowerbound limit could also be affected by the rate of spin of the object involved. First there are time dilation effects due to the tangential velocity of the outer shell; second, there is centripetal acceleration away from the axis of spin which could interfere with the negative radial acceleration of gravity; third there is energy expressed as angular momentum which causes gravity just as though it were mass instead of energy.

Fourth it is not clear (to me anyway) whether centripetal acceleration and angular velocity even work the same way at the bottom of a gravity well dense enough to affect the passage of time. I presume relativity means they have the same relationship regardless of our frame of reference. But radial velocity is inversely proportionate to time and centripetal acceleration is inversely proportional to the square of time, so what properties of the relationship does relativity preserve and what do they mean relative to one another as the swarzchild radius or event horizon is approached?

My knowledge of physics isn't good enough to work out the math and say what the effect of spin would be; but I strongly suspect the rotational energy of the body in question is likely to affect its radius of collapse.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Closest and Smallest Black Hole Known Discovered - by Bear - 04-27-2021, 01:58 AM