The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

The Starlost TV Series
I have recently discovered this great series from the 1970s called The Starlost. Harlan Ellison was the creator and writer of this show. I wanted to see if any of you have seen this series before. From what I have seen, it is similar to Silent Running. Overall, I am enjoying the series and would recommend to any one here on Orion’s Arm.
Fascinating! Many many many years ago (as in back in high school - I'm 52 now) I bought a themed collection of SF stories all about interstellar travel.

One of those stories - and the only one in the collection with illustrations - is basically the second paragraph (and possibly part of the third) of the Premise section of the Wikipedia article you posted the link to.

I don't remember if there was anything in the editorial text around the story about it being turned into a film/TV show, but there might have been. Or maybe that came later.

I may even still have the book floating around somewhere. Now I'm going to have to go try to find it and reread the story.

Also - there's something about a Roku channel devoted to this show. I have a Roku and am now wondering if they are still playing it somewhere. Hmm.

Thanks for sharing this! Big Grin

Todd
(02-04-2022, 12:40 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: Fascinating! Many many many years ago (as in back in high school - I'm 52 now) I bought a themed collection of SF stories all about interstellar travel.

One of those stories - and the only one in the collection with illustrations - is basically the second paragraph (and possibly part of the third) of the Premise section of the Wikipedia article you posted the link to.

I don't remember if there was anything in the editorial text around the story about it being turned into a film/TV show, but there might have been. Or maybe that came later.

I may even still have the book floating around somewhere. Now I'm going to have to go try to find it and reread the story.

Also - there's something about a Roku channel devoted to this show. I have a Roku and am now wondering if they are still playing it somewhere. Hmm.

Thanks for sharing this! Big Grin

Todd

I am absolutely loving the show. That is interesting about a Roku Channel being devoted to this show. I will have to look that up. Do you remember the name of that collection of SF stories about Interstellar Travel and the story you are referring to?
(02-04-2022, 01:15 PM)InterstellarSleeper Wrote: I am absolutely loving the show. That is interesting about a Roku Channel being devoted to this show. I will have to look that up. Do you remember the name of that collection of SF stories about Interstellar Travel and the story you are referring to?

Found the Roku channel and found the book. Big Grin

The channel is named The Starlost. It includes adverts unless you want to spend money on an add blocker. I decided I can live with the occasional ad. Tongue

The book is call Faster Than Light and is edited by Jack Dann and George Zebrowski copyright 1976, reprinted by Ace publishing in 1982.

The story is called Phoenix without Ashes and is the actual director's script written by Harlan Ellison. The intro to the story talks about the script winning an award and the show being 'inadequately produced'. Also, there's apparently a novel of the story out there somewhere. May try to track it down.

Todd