The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

obvious noob questions from a writer
Stumbled across Orion's Arm a couple days ago and I'm blown away. The depth of this Universe...the quality of the ideas that are here...wow. Just wow.

I'd love to play. But I'm not sure I can.

Real short version: I'm an author. I've got two novels, one completed, one about 75% completed, that I've been seeking a happy home for. One I started in the '90's, the other I started in 2006 and have just recently finished. Neither were written in the OA universe but my primary influences were William Gibson, Vernor Vinge, John Varley, Robert A. Heinlein, and Norman Spinrad...you can probably guess there's more than casual parallels in my works to the OA universe and these novels could easily be adapted...here's a link, for instance, to one that I just recently started putting up on authonomy.com....
http://authonomy.com/books/56169/the-verse/

I went through the OA submissions agreement and I'm a little hazy on the following:

Contributing writers apparently own the copyright to any work they submit within the OA universe...but anything you submit, OA can modify or reprint, or even assign to another writer. How does this work? Also...if I adapt these novels to OA, and they sell, how is the payment divided? Because these books were a labor of love and all...but love also don't pay the rent, if you get my meaning, and considering I've poured a significant fraction of my adult life into writing them I'm more than slightly leery of third-party ownership getting involved.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
obvious noob questions from a writer - by TheodoreBonn - 11-11-2013, 01:11 AM